Canary Breeding Season 2013

Canary

How is everyone going with their canaries?

We are well into the breeding season and I haven't noticed many comments.
Tiaris

The daughter's Glosters are off to a slow start this season compared to last year. Some 1st round young just emerging now & a few failed 1st attempts by young pairs. Plenty of time for improvement yet & all hens (8) are now at nest at least.
Red

My birds are really behind this year with the first chicks due to hatch in a couple of days. It's really cold in VIC at the moment and other breeders in my area are finding their birds are slow to come into condition.

Red
Rox

I have 2 pairs of Fife Canaries but I have only allowed 1 pair to nest so far (the other pair were both moulting).

Mom is white, with a touch of yellow on the flight feathers and dad is varigated, also with a touch of yellow on the flight feathers. Dad is amazing. Sits on the nest when mom goes to feed. Feeds both mom and the chicks regularly and helps collect nesting material. From everything I have read, this is not normal for male canary's...

This is their first fledging, now almost 2 months old. What colour would you call this? The have since fledged another 2 chicks, a yellow one and a brown and white varigated like dad
grumpy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canary

Red

I set mine later this year as well, as we were on holidays, and my first 4 nests have been sitting for 7 days. I have checked them this morning and all 4 nests are fertile, so hopefully chicks in 1 week.

Rox

I have heard of cocks sitting on the eggs when the hen is off the eggs, and I had one cock that used to sit on the eggs at night, and I would have to kick him off so the hen could set, but I have not seen a cock making the nest.

All the best for the breeding season.

A few local breeders that I have been talking to have had good first rounds with 50 chicks and 33 chicks. Another had 17 nests out of 20 clear in the first round. I believe that he tried to start too early. He how has most of the hens back on eggs. That is the hardest part waiting until they are in full breeding condition and the other factors such as heat and light are right.
Diane

Love the young canary.
Glad to see Im not the only one that goes through the aviaries wearing slippers! :thumbup: :D
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice Canaries Rox :thumbup: :clap:
Rox

Diane, I live in my slippers when at home, lol! With summer coming though, I am ashamed to admit it will soon be Croc's - perfect for garden/home use but heaven forbid I go out in them!! ;-)

Thanks everyone for the compliments - I love these guys. They are so full of character :)

Quick question.

How many clutches do you allow your canaries to have in a season? This pair is on their 3rd clutch already and the season has only just started. I plan to seperate them over the winter months, so do I just leave them be until then or do I restrict them to a certain number of clutches? This is my first proper season with the birds, so I'm still new to all of this. They are on a diet of seed, fresh veg/fruit, eggfood and have recently developed a taste for the mealworms which are meant for my CB's :eh:
Canary

Rox

Most of my birds have 2 nests for the season, and occasionally 3 nests. This is mainly due to the timing and need to moult in order to have good feathers for the show season.

I know people who let their canaries breed through 6 months of the year, and have seen birds nesting as they are moulting, which I believe is too late in the season.

As long as the birds are fed well, and you are feeding all the right food, then they will keep breeding until they have had enough, or you separate them. Make sure you give them some cuttlefish or multivitamin as well, if you aren't already.

The other thing to remember is that if the chicks are late bred, then they may not be ready to breed until late in the following breeding season.

All the best with the breeding season, and I look forward to some more photos of the new chicks with your crocs.
Rox

Thanks so much for the feedback :) They are have access to cuttlefish and I give a multivitamen, as well as probiotics once a week. I will keep an eye on them and see how it goes. Any signs of moulting and they will be seperated, even if it's before the winter months.

Return to “Canaries”