Fawn female?

Includes Species Profile
MariusStegmann

I recently bought a new diamond firetail. Soon afterwards I noticed that my young grassfinch male has formed a bond with her. He is always grooming her and they sleep together in a nest at night. Is a pairing between Diamonds and Grassfinches possible? I bought a young grassfinch female to breakup this unlikely pairing.
Is this a Fawn or a Cinnamon Diamond? I include some pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig52

Seems no one wants to answer you because fawn and cinnamon are pretty hard to tell apart unless you breed them first,cinnamon is sexlinked and fawn is autosomal recessive so in other words we are just guessing.
Young longtails and many other young finches will find comfort with any finch that will accept them,most grow out of it when they mature imo.
How common are the yellow diamonds in your country,they are very uncommon here and i know a few breeders who would love to get some and breed them into their mutations. Craig
MariusStegmann

Thanks Craig
The normal diamonds are much more common. My pair are more orange than yellow, but I was told that it is the same mutation. There are breeders, who have yellows available all the time as the diamonds breed right through the year in my part of South Africa. White and pied mutations are unknown here, as far as I know. If you say sex linked, does it mean if you use a fawn parent, the fawn offspring will be the same sex a the fawn parent?
MariusStegmann

Craig, this is what my yellow diamonds look like. It is not a striking as the lemon yellows that I have seen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig52

Very nice Marius,that is much the same as what we have/had here.
In the cinnamon mutation,a split cock or a coloured cock put to a normal hen can produce coloured hens in the young,normal hens and possible split cocks.You can't get split hens in this mutation you can only get coloured hens and normal hens.
In the fawn mutation,it doesn't matter which sex is the coloured bird put to a normal as all the young will be split to fawn.There is a problem over here where most breeders call their birds fawns instead of using the correct mutation name as the birds look similar in appearance to the observer. Craig
MariusStegmann

Thanks Craig

Please excuse my ignorance. If you reverse the sexes in the cinnamon mutation ie. normal cock with cinnamon hen. What happens then?

Marius
Craig52

MariusStegmann wrote:Thanks Craig

Please excuse my ignorance. If you reverse the sexes in the cinnamon mutation ie. normal cock with cinnamon hen. What happens then?

Marius
I'm not sure as i haven't bred them that way,i would suspect that you would get normal hens and possible split cocks,not the way to go.Someone correct me if i'm wrong. Craig
garymc

If the mutation is sex linked and you put a normal cock with a coloured hen you get all split cocks and all normal hens!
Craig52

garymc wrote:If the mutation is sex linked and you put a normal cock with a coloured hen you get all split cocks and all normal hens!
Thanks Gary,i wasn't quite sure whether they would be splits or possible splits and splits. Cheers Craig :thumbup:
wildbill

i once put a fawn with a cinnamon and got all fawn coloured young. i'd been told months earlier by a guy in ireland who breds fawns if they were a different mutations i would have bred all splits.

i emailed him a photo of my cinnamons birds and the reply was when are you sending the photo :wtf: he told me over in the UK the fawns come in a variety of shades of colour so after that didn't think much more of it.

Return to “Diamond Firetail”