Fawn female?

Includes Species Profile
garymc

Interesting comments Wildbill. Firstly I have never bred or even kept the "fawns or cinnamons" but I have been led to believe that the fawns are sex-linked and the cinnamons reccesive.

If this is the case then potentially you could get all coloured young from combining the two if:-

the cock was fawn or even fawn split cinnamon or even double mutant" and the hen cinnamon and the resulting young were all hens
or the cock is cinnamon and the hen fawn split cinnamon

there are probably other combinations of the "two" mutations which which would make this possible

or

in fact the mutations are one and the same and my knowledge of the mode of inheritance is gentics involved

As I am interested in acquiring some of what I believed was the lighter coloured ones or fawns I would really like to know and understand how this mutation or mutations work!
Craig52

[quote="garymc"]Interesting comments Wildbill. Firstly I have never bred or even kept the "fawns or cinnamons" but I have been led to believe that the fawns are sex-linked and the cinnamons reccesive.

That's not so Gary,it's the opposite. Your fawn painteds are autosomal reccesive as you know so they are definately fawns not cinnamons which is sexlinked. Craig :wave:
arthur

Perhaps combining the two mutations may present a new colour altogether

A la Tiaris' Yellow-bodied Stars

They would be 'dilute-cinnamons' afterall

And the rule is: If they aren't sex-linked then they aren't cinnamon

Sadly a lot of confusion in terms with mutations
garymc

Thanks for the info Craig52 and Arthur much appreciated!

Craig when you had them (the diamonds) were they the fawns (recessive) or the cinnamons (sex-linked) ones? I know someone who got some birds which came from your bloodlines and it seems I gave them a bum steer on the genetics if your strain were fawns
Craig52

garymc wrote:Thanks for the info Craig52 and Arthur much appreciated!

Craig when you had them (the diamonds) were they the fawns (recessive) or the cinnamons (sex-linked) ones? I know someone who got some birds which came from your bloodlines and it seems I gave them a bum steer on the genetics if your strain were fawns
They were sexlinked cinnamons Gary and yes i know who you are talking about,she nearly drove me insane.The majority of mutation diamonds around then were cinnamons and i haven't seen a fawn yet only pics and it was a completely different looking bird. The bird looked normal other than the back and wings which was a light brown,the breast bar was a very dark chocolate brown nearly black,very simmilar to your fawn painteds where the black on the front looks black but is very dark brown on the cocks. Craig
Last edited by Craig52 on 26 Nov 2013, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
garymc

Ah well that good as I didn't give the guy a bum steer genetically just in the naming!

From memory I think firetail555 had fawns a while back - be interested to know which he had?

Return to “Diamond Firetail”