HELP....If the breeder can't tell the sex what hope do I hav

lyn2233

I bought a cock bird 2 years ago this year decided to get a hen which I did..the male died so I was sold which was suppose to be a cock turned out to be a hen. Kepted the two went and bought another one which I was assured was a cock turned out a hen again. All three made nests and sitting on eggs which won't hatch. Went to a bird breeder who ASSURED me I have bought a cock bird after two week it has made a nest and one egg in nest so far. I now have 4 female canaries in my finch aviary when I only wanted one pair. I don't have the heart to sell them as they are so used to the huge aviary. How can I be assured I am getting a cock bird and will 4 females be to much to him. Thanks very frustrated.
KENTUCKY

Pull down its pants for positive ID before buying.
branchez

The easiest way to tell a cock Canary is they sing,hens don't.
Jack
branchez

branchez wrote:The easiest way to tell a cock Canary is they sing,hens don't.
Jack
And with 4 hens he will mate with any one or all of them,if they are good hens they will raise the young on their own.
Jack
lyn2233

Thanks for the advice......the breeder blew the feathers away and showed me what he said was a male..he said no mistake it was a male. How long should I leave the females sitting on their eggs as they will not hatch. Would it be okay to have 1 male with 4 female canaries.
Last edited by lyn2233 on 24 Nov 2013, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
BOF33

Pull down its pants for positive ID before buying.
Most of your advice on this forum has been "Smart ar@#ed" to say the least. I'm sure you have something positive to contribute. :clap:
Canary

I have bred canaries for over 40 years and still get some wrong.

This year I had 2 birds that I was sure were cock birds. Both birds whistled and acted like cock birds. Both ended up laying eggs.

When the birds are in breeding condition you can tell the difference by blowing back the feathers on the vent. The cock is smaller and the hen is much bigger and rounded.

The only sure way is when the breed.
KENTUCKY

You are a funny man, where is your sense of humor?
If in doubt about the gender of your birds, get yourself a second opinion, its no great drama,canaries have been recorded the change sex from one year to the next, this phenomena throws spanners into the works for canary breeder, the most constructive advice I have for breeders in your situation is a second opinion.
As for my warped sense of humor, just have a good laugh,it breaks the tension.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Probably wisest to only buy birds you see giving a full throated whistle, and best to have 2 or 3 cocks if you have 4 hens. :flower: Yes a cock will put down more than one hen sometimes. :heart: But a better job is done in an avairy where there are close to the same numbers in the sexs. :thumbup: But a spare hen is never a negative. :clap: Just my oppinion from my experience with canarys in an avairy situation. :D
LML
LML
Red

If I had an aviary with four hens I would add one male and no more. I hate seeing males fight but it is true that some breeders keep more than one male together.

The simplest way to get a male canary is to buy one from a breeder who rings his or her birds. It should be easy to find a male who bred the season before just by checking the records. A two or three year old male still has a couple of good breeding seasons ahead of it.

If you buy a bird as a male and it is a female you should be able to swap the bird or get your money back. Sexing canaries is never 100% unless the bird:

1. Lays an egg

2. Fertilises an egg (singing is not 100%)

3. Is a Dimorphic (mosaic)

4. Is the outcome of a sex linked cross. For example: Cinnamon Male x Green Female = Visually Green Males and Cinnamon females

Return to “Canaries”