Holy Cra! he did what to a pied diamond sparrow nest!

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
wildbill

now i have your attention read on. about a year back i was trying hard to preserve my breeding colony of pied and fawn/pied diamonds so they made it through the cold winter months -just to set things straight no i didn't do it for the money because i have enough!
first off i had used laserlite on the flight and seeing it gets extremely cold here in winter i completely covered the entrance to the aviary in plastic.
nice job too as warm as toast and as the temp went i started breeding birds in the winter in near zero temps.this went on for 2 or 3 months..................suddenly the birds stopped breeding and the ones which had been producing good clutches started producing clear eggs. this went on for several months. very very poor fertility but my other aviaries were fine.
my very first thought - the cock diamonds were out of condition. for those old hands here on the forum i don't mind telling you again - i bred heaps! so it was hard to take! the only trouble i ever had breeding diamonds was in the very beginning when i was sold 4 cock birds. after 3 months nothing! :lol:
anyway back to the crap! one day i was surfing the internet when i read about vitamin d3 and its importance to the fertility in birds. birds absorb this from direct sunlight through their feathers. they require 10 to 20 minutes daily. vitamin d3 cannot be transmitted to the bird through plastic or laserlite.
in my case i had the whole package plastic -laserlite - fully enclosed. so i researched further and stumbled across the vetafarm site and soluvite d3 and caged birds etc. i rang vetafarm and told them the drama and they said their product would have things back to normal in 6 weeks or so.
in reality it took a lot longer than that.......i'd say close to 4 months. everyday i placed half a teaspoon of their soluvite d3 product in 1 litre of fresh water plus i remove one panel of laserlight from the roof. after 2 or 3 months nothing had changed. sure i was breeding the odd few pied/fawn splits etc etc but nothing compared to the other fawn aviaries which were spitting them out.
about a month back i noticed that a few cock bird diamonds were missing head feathers and there was a bit of aggression in the aviary. this nest pictured drew my attention

residents light/med pied hen with normal/fawn pied. young birds say year plus old had 7 nests straight -NOT ONE FERTILE EGG! decided to check it out. pulled out the eggs. surprise 1 fertile. left it there it hatch she sat on it a couple of days and then it disappeared.

back to nest again and this time more fertile eggs and she has been feeding them well two or three young

the very nest next to this housed my heavy pied diamond cock with light/med hen. 7 to 10 nests straight -ALL CLEAR EGGS. prior to that 3 nest 7 young reared in total. he too had one fertile egg for the very first time in many months. that lone young today is out flying about. now i knew for sure something had gone wrong in the aviary.
at the moment there would be several diamonds on eggs or with young. things are starting to move again and i'm still dosing them with vetafarm soluvite d3. i will probably do this for another month then call it quits.i don't really know which fixed my fertility problem with the diamonds/firefinches/parrotfinches in the aviary. i do think it was the lack of vitamin d3 or direct sunlight or both. all i know - i had a very big problem and that aviary as a breeder was almost a total write-off.
i could have sat back and kept this to myself and let some-one else figure their own drama out. but this forum is about helping each other breed and look after birds. doesn't matter i you like the bloke telling you the story or not - its all about the health of birds in aviary conditions. plus if you gain any knowledge from what you have read.
in my case i think if your still reading i've done my part or you would have exited the site in the first couple of paragraphs. at the moment this info may or may not be of any use to you but maybe sometime in the future the time might come when something pops up and you can say i read about that on the finch forum and i know how you can fix it. if so my typing away has not been a waste of time.
Diane

Thanks for posting your story, as you said it may just help someone else knock a problem on the head.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
peterrebecca

Thanks Graham.

Sometimes we don't see what is right in front of us.

So the stories about what has gone wrong for someone can often help a large number of others.

And even if it only helps one, the information has been worthwhile.
Redwing

Would that make a good newsletter article?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think the number of people who underestimate the value of sunlight/vitamin d in bird and animal husbandary is quite high. So anything that brings this to peoples attention is good. Including this and any other articles on the subject in the newsletter. Maybe do a month with this (sunlight and vitamin d) as the topic. So we can all get typing and submitting to Diane.
LML
LML
Diane

Redwing wrote:Would that make a good newsletter article?
It sure would :thumbup:
finchbreeder wrote:So anything that brings this to peoples attention is good. Including this and any other articles on the subject in the newsletter. Maybe do a month with this (sunlight and vitamin d) as the topic. So we can all get typing and submitting to Diane.
Happy to accept any articles, will even hold back the newsletter till Monday if someone is in the process of writing something over the weekend. Just let me know via pm.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
wildbill

my pied fires now have 5 young out flying about. these young are from 2 different nests and their parents have not breed for many many months. they too suffered from the clear egg syndrome. so theory wise the soluvite d3 has done it's job and worked out well. i bet i could have asked heaps of breeders what was wrong and i'd been lucky to get the correct answer off one!
my only trouble now what to do with all these excess siblings :lol: jokes aside this mistake had cost me a good 12 months of poor breeding results. sure i bred a few but nothing compared to the other aviaries. never too old to learn or better late than never.
wildbill

now sitting on 7 - not bad considering the pied fires had done nothing for 6 months. soluvite d3! couldn't be happier

young pied diamond at 7 weeks

this young cock bird at 11 weeks

wildbill

a lot bigger now and very last photos of these as i have sold the camera. only two young in the nest and you can see the white pin feathers coming - pied diamond.not sure about the other one. first fertile best in 7 so remember if you think something is wrong with your birds -good chance it probably is. soluvite d3 was my savior i won't require camera to look into the blue gouldian nests :clap: bring em on!

white tips on pin feathers

now if you want a closer look -why not buy the lot- all for sale -hardly have the room for the new arrivals
wildbill

just feeding the diamonds today and looked up at the nest of the young pictured earlier in this thread.......nice looking sight!

Return to “Mutation Finches”