DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS

arthur

Two Indonesian military personnel have been let off with a warning after Australian authorities uncovered an alleged bird-smuggling operation aboard a Hercules military aircraft given to Indonesia.

The men were part of a team taking delivery of a Hercules military aircraft on Thursday at Richmond airforce base near Sydney and were allegedly found loading birds - five galahs and two other parrots - hidden in bags.

When the aircraft landed in Darwin for refuelling, authorities allegedly found two more parrots, Macquarie radio reported on Friday.

The Australian Customs and Border Protection Service questioned the men and, after consulting with the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions, issued them with a warning, Immigration Minister Scott Morrison said.

"We take these issues very seriously regardless of who is engaged with them and that's what we did on this occasion," the minister told reporters in Sydney.
"If there's an offence that has been committed, then the necessary investigations and inquiries need to be undertaken."

He believes the incident will have no ramifications for relations between Australia and Indonesia.

"I understand the plane has departed," he said.

Mr Morrison declined to confirm whether it was a pilot or crew members questioned over the matter.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott told reporters in Adelaide the investigation was appropriate.
"From time to time Australians do things in Indonesia and it shouldn't be a complete surprise that occasionally it's a two-way street."
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hmm. There is plenty one could say, but I will just be politically correct for a change.
LML
LML
Diane

Not adding fuel to a fire I guess.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
arthur

Ah well . .

Here's another take

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... 5469,d.aGc

I just love/ worry over some of the redneck comments :crazy:
Diane

...and for anyone who read all the comments and want a quick link to the Pickering Post cartoon
http://pickeringpost.com/cartoon/2416
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Pictorella

"We take these issues very seriously regardless of who is engaged with them and that's what we did on this occasion," the minister told reporters in Sydney.

These sort of comments always make me laugh. Mr Morrison takes the smuggling of a few Aussie cockatoos very seriously but I bet he wouldn't blink if a big foreign corporation or developer wanted to bull doze 1000s of acres of cockatoo breeding habitat. Ah priorities.....
A world without birds is a world not worth living in :)
arthur

Pictorella wrote:
These sort of comments always make me laugh. Mr Morrison takes the smuggling of a few Aussie cockatoos very seriously but I bet he wouldn't blink if a big foreign corporation or developer wanted to bull doze 1000s of acres of cockatoo breeding habitat. Ah priorities.....
You are very cynical Pictorella :silent:
Alf63

Next time they are hoping to let them smuggle out specially trained ASIO Galahs. Better make it Cockatoos we already have too many galahs in Canberra
matcho

Given the current situation in regards to the spying scandal do you really think that this would end any other way? I reckon we should do this but I know my solution might upset a few people. Let them have all the galahs they want (including the human type) and we don't have to give them all the gazzillions of bucks in assistance. Simple as far as I am concerned. :roll:

Return to “Parrots”