Breeding king quail in a Brisbane Summer

GregH

I've never had much success with any quail species and until late spring I'd never even successfully breeding king quail. My old hen went clunky when her youngsters were 3 weeks old and the that latest clutch hatched 4 days ago but started dying immediately! I soon worked out that the previous clutch attacked the new balls of fluff as soon as they came out from under mum so I removed their half grown siblings, The deaths however continued and today only three youngster remain and their condition looks dire. When I was in the Philippines most mysterious deaths could be traced to snakes or coccidia but here in Brisbane it's been so hot and dry I doubt it's the latter and in spite of loosing 4 Gouldians to a python around New Year's Eve I know its not that either. I suspect that they are dying from heat stress as their siblings grew up in the same cage with the same diet and water dish. The chick become lethargic and lay out on their bellies with their wings & necks stretched out before dying. Any thought would be appreciated.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can you restrict the area, they are runing round in to a cool shady patch, with water and seed. Sometimes an in experienced parent/or an over enthusiastic one, will run them off their feet. But mostly they just seem to dehydrate. Has been 43, 41, 43 here the last 3 days and I have a hen back into breeding mode, so will tell you if I notice anything else that may help.
LML
LML
GregH

Unfortunately all 6 chicks in the clutch have succumbed. It is damned hot and I suspect that it is dehydration even though it's the same parents, in the same aviary, consuming the same diet & water source from the same food & water dishes. Better luck next time when it's cooler.

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”