Canary Hen nesting on ground?

rip64

I had not seen one of my hens all day so went looking - She has made her nest on the ground under clump of native grass ??? Should I leave her to her own instincts ?? This is her second go this season - first time she chose an old open Gouldian nest ??
Red

I would pull the eggs if it was my bird. I don't think it's good for them to be rearing chicks during the moult.
KiwiBigD

Back in the early 80s I had a canary girl who would do similar for pretty much every second or third nest. Young were raised happily without any issues at all. Not sure why she did this but can't see any issues myself. If she feels safe enough and you're not going to stand on her by mistake then I'd leave her to it myself. Otherwise add a few more nest sites for her
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mine are still laying in all sorts of nests all over the place in one of the avairys. The other avairys pair did not click at all. Mother has had canarys build nests and raise chicks on the floor a couple of times. Just put some perching down low for them to work their way up.
LML
LML
rip64

Thanks finchbreeder - she seems very comfortable - not into moult yet and the coolest place in this aviary at the moment and over past month has been at ground level - just wondering if high tempratures drive captive birds to nest lower in aviarys, a couple of hens are sitting - one on the ground another about 2 1/2 off the ground (in a pan I placed as hot weather trial).
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've had Orange breasteds nest in a pile of grass scant inches off the ground also. Don't pretend to know why some birds make the choices they do. But the temperature of the location could certainly be one good reason.
LML
LML

Return to “Canaries”