PC advice

flap

Hi all, we have a pair of PC lorikeets who are approx 1.5-2 yrs old. We bought them together They have laid two clutches of eggs, first lot, they were all clear (5 eggs in all). They have laid a second clutch, similar thing. I have just candled the eggs (found 3 of the 4 she originally laid), two were definitely clear, one looks different but if fertile did not get very far into incubation, or may have gone off as the egg had a little dent in it.
Our dilemmas now are:
do we get them to go for one last breeding attempt for the season?
do their breeding results to date indicate they are incompatible?
if that is the case, would it make more sense to change the male (we know she lays eggs and sits, whereas for all we know he may be firing blanks) or the female? or sell both and start again?
Do PC bond for life? if so I guess we are stuck….
Thank you for any advice. :-)
flaP
VR1Ton

It can sometimes take a few rounds for young birds to get it right, but given their age, I'd try another cock.
flap

Thanks VR1. I should clarify that this is their first breeding season. So is it worth giving them one more go? will keep my eyes open for another cock bird thought. Will see if Spanna can point me in the right direction.
Also hubby was reading that it may be to do with the female vent having feathers and preventing impregnation, so may consider a trim to help things along.
flaP
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you do trim, be careful not to trim the "guide" feathers that show him the way.
LML
LML
arthur

IMHO, vent feathers would be a long way down on the list of reasons for infertility
Myzomela

I totally agree with Arthur.

These are still essentially wild-type birds. Vent feathering issues are a consequence of selective breeding & domestication eg show budgies, some poultry breeds etc.

You may as well let them go one more time this season & if still no luck I would replace the cockbird. Replacing the cock this late in the season may mean that by the time they re-pair & settle to nest you may lose the season anyway.

The problem may lie with either sex and could be genetic, infection or behavioural (ie "they ain't doin it right"!)
If the next clutch is still unsuccessful, then candle them carefully and if there is any sign of blood vessel formation then the problem is not infertility but early embryonic death.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
flap

Thank you for all the replies. I took out the nest box yesterday as she has stopped sitting. In cleaning out the wood shavings and eggs, I found the remains of a tiny chick. So at least one of the eggs was fertile. Ruling out incompatibility or infertility problems, and suggesting they need to play house for a bit longer and practice more - he needs more target practice and she needs to learn to look after hatched chicks a little better. Our recent heat waves probably did not help things any. So will give her a week or two break, feed her up, then put the nest box back and see how the go for one last run.
flaP

Return to “Parrots”