Common Grenadier (Uraeginthus granatinus)

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
dukem

Hello,
I have one couple of Common Grenadie and i like to know if any one have breed this specie ?
If someone has already breed this specie i like to know the type food, cage...etc that you use.

Cheers,
Luís
E Orix

Both species are very very rare here in Australia,remember we haven't had open importation here since 1945
Purple Grenadier Waxbill is Uraeginthus ianthinogaster
There are a few people with them and some are struggling to get an increase,the gene pool is poor
Violet Eared Waxbill is Uraeginthus granatinus
This specie is in even worse shape than it's relative.
For data on these species you would be better contacting UK or European breeders.
dukem

E Orix wrote:Both species are very very rare here in Australia,remember we haven't had open importation here since 1945
Purple Grenadier Waxbill is Uraeginthus ianthinogaster
There are a few people with them and some are struggling to get an increase,the gene pool is poor
Violet Eared Waxbill is Uraeginthus granatinus
This specie is in even worse shape than it's relative.
For data on these species you would be better contacting UK or European breeders.
Hello Orix,
I already have information from several sources. I was collecting information from various sources to decide the best method to breed this specie. Here in europe to breed Grenadiers the breeders normaly use Lonchura domestica to raise the chicks, i dont want that.
thanks,
Luis
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dukem, good on you for trying to breed without fostering. :thumbup:
LML
LML
casehulsebosch

A little bit of homework and you will find breeders in Europe ( The UK is in fact part of Europe :-) ) who breed these species without fostering . Or better still, seeing this is an African species, contact breeders in Africa or find African bird forums so you can put your question to them.

Cheers, Case
dukem

casehulsebosch wrote:A little bit of homework and you will find breeders in Europe ( The UK is in fact part of Europe :-) ) who breed these species without fostering . Or better still, seeing this is an African species, contact breeders in Africa or find African bird forums so you can put your question to them.

Cheers, Case
Usually the best breeders of this species are the Belgian and Dutch. But there is the barrier of language.
This link is for you to see the birds we have here in Europe-->http://www.ornitologialodato.com/en
Photos from the last world championship in Bari.
http://bloggerbirds.blogspot.pt/search? ... results=18
http://bloggerbirds.blogspot.pt/search? ... date=false
Tiaris

I know 2 breeders of Purple Grenadier Waxbills who are having some success with them kept as single pairs in their own breeding aviary. One who I visited a few weeks ago had 2 pairs kept this way & both pairs had recently fledged clutches of young at the time I was there. His aviaries had seeding grasses growing in the front-half (one pair were sitting in a nest in the growing grass at the time but this was a first for him), they were fed a good basic breeding diet of dry finch mix, green panic seed heads and a permanent supply of live termites.
I know of another breeder who breeds them in similar single pair aviaries but who fosters them under bengalese. Most people avoid buying birds from him if they possibly can as he regularly fosters using bengalese, cross-breeds different species and rips people off with deceptive unscrupulous deals when they have the misfortune of dealing with him.
dukem

Unfortunately are people like that everywhere who cross similar species and sell them like pure.
He put some calcium in the termites ? He only use termites ? no mealworms ?
Green food is essential right ?
I dont have any experience with Uraeginthus. What I have breed so far are some varietys of Serinus and Carduelis. I imagine that to breed Grenadiers is not very different from breeding Serinus.
casehulsebosch

You are on the button with the Belgians and Dutch being at the forefront in Europe.

Thanks for the links but I am very much up on the play in europe.

As for the language, this should not be a problem. The majority of people there speak good English; after all, it is compulsory at Highschool.

And seeing you have experience with the Serinus species, I take it you are aware of the European Serinus Society? The website is also in english (partly my fault)

cheers

case
dukem

casehulsebosch wrote:You are on the button with the Belgians and Dutch being at the forefront in Europe.

Thanks for the links but I am very much up on the play in europe.

As for the language, this should not be a problem. The majority of people there speak good English; after all, it is compulsory at Highschool.

And seeing you have experience with the Serinus species, I take it you are aware of the European Serinus Society? The website is also in english (partly my fault)

cheers

case
Yes i know seinus society.The website is also in Portuguese (all my fault) lol
I usually talk to Jonh he is a nice person and know alot about serinus.

Return to “Non Specific Questions”