Orange Cheeked Waxbills

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
fastfreddy

An interesting take on Ísland species Genetics but I think that the Tri Coloured success story is less about Science and more about proximity!
Tiaris

The initial introduction of the species may well (was) more about proximity but its establishment to a viable and genetically vigorous population thereafter was what I was talking about with the initial comment.
fastfreddy

Really??
Myzomela

What are you implying Freddy?
Research; evaluate;observe;act
fastfreddy

I think that you might have already worked that out Myzomela!!
Myzomela

I disagree with you Freddy about the Tri-colours. Like Tiaris I agree that these birds were just more virile than many of the other species that were present in similar numbers at the same time. Nearly all waxbills in this position seem to increase in numbers initially but then their populations tend to dwindle. The Parrot-finches seem to be different and can do much better from a small gene pool, possibly because they have evolved this way as island species as has been suggested by Uraeginthus. They just seem to retain their fertility and not suffer from inbreeding problems to the same degree as other mainland species.

Nor did I hear of any rejuvenation of the genetics of this species, which of course doesn't mean that it didn't occur.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
firetail555

Myzo is right. Once established the tri-colours have bred very well and have not taken a step backwards

Return to “Non Specific Questions”