not about finches

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Any one here bred or breeding Quarrion????? I have a query !
Ive got Bob and Ollie here my 5 year old Quarrions who happen to be very pampered .
These 2 have always showered with me or my son daily and have never been used to being messy , but now they have 2 babies born on the 15th of this month they are getting themselves into a state and they dont like it.
They dont want to be away from the nest long enough to shower and dry off and I dont want them going back to the nest wet.
Question is can I change the wood shavings in the nest ?? And how would I go about this ??
There is also 5 eggs in there so Im not sure what to do about that either.
They are flying blind here as they dont even know they are birds themselves lol ...
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

maybe try seperating them so that they can clean up one at a time while the other is still at the nest
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
toddles044

hi there jusdeb i breed them and i would not recommend to change the wood shavings it can disturb the parents and they could abandon the chicks and that would be the worst umm so you are saying that they are getting dirty and they dont like this at all? if comes to it you may need to hand rear the young.
thanks toddles
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

thanx folks , think i might give them time out in the shower one at a time...bugger handfeeding them , no time for that so I wont be disturbing the nest just in case...
Will be handtaming them though , I kinda think they can turn out to be just as frindly as hand rearing and at least they know they are birds lol lol. Thanx again
David Brent
toddles044

no prob and good luck with it all and let us know how everything goes
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

thanx toddles , forgot to ask what I do about the unhatched eggs .....kinda thinking they cant be fertile but I kinda believe the old saying ...if it aint broke then why fix it ....so I dont want to go mucking around in the nest.....
Also they havent changed at all with the chicks arrival , they still love fly time and cuddles so I dont want to interfere and cause them to be protective of the cage so I tend to not go sticky beaking too much but these eggs dont look to have any grey colour to them and it has been 12 and 10 days since these chicks hatched...
David Brent
toddles044

yer they dont sound fertile i would say take them out because they could get cracked and then the egg would go everywhere and could bring parasites to the nest. also when doing this make sure you are careful to not touch the babys as you would leave your sent on them and could make the parents abandon the babys if you dont want to do this just to be sure maybe wait unlit the babys are at pin feather stage then you should be able the take them out easyer because you will deffently sure that they are not fertile and the parents should not get as disturbed if you touch the chicks. but then it does come down to your choice. thanks toddles

Return to “The Lounge”