Quakers, Princess, Conures, Hahns Macaws or Linnies

elferoz777

Ok, I now have some more aviaries I plan to move my blue goulds to these.

This will give me a spare 3850X2600x1800(high) avairy (may also consider dividing it)

I did have a 2 yr project plan mapped out at the start of the year but I find myself wavering from it a little recently....dammit I just dont have enough aviaries to keep everything I want.

I am tossing up between parrots of which the following were considered

Quakers (Blue and Green/Blue),

Princess parrots (White = Yellow/Blue)

Conures (green cheeks in the yellow sided or pineapple variants)

Hahns Macaws

Linnies (not fussed on mutations)

I would like to here AFF members preferences out of these birds and why they would be the best for me to follow on with ?

I did also toss up the idea of weavers or whydahs (thinking the aviary may be a bit small for Whydahs). I did here there were some euro linnets about in Syd and considered them also but they seem to have vanished.

Do those not a fan of hook bills have any suggestions for a finch colony project for this spare aviary?

Eagerly awaiting your helpful advice and suggestions!

Thanks

Steve
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Linnies!!
They're super adorable, quiet, need breeding up (but are increasing in availability) and they can be housed in a colony (and they don't take up much space).
Feeding requirements are basically the same as other parrots (seed base, plenty of greens, sprouts, etc.)
Or you can go into softbills.... :D
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Denozo

I love the hahn's macaws although linnies are great aswell. Some of the mutation linnies are beautiful
Alf63

Obviously its all personal preference. I have kept 12 species of conures (if you include Quakers)

Of the birds you have mentioned

Forget Hahns, noisy green bird.

Greencheeks - Nice bird not overly loud and OK handreared pet, but

Quakers - A favourite, never found them too noisy and the chicks are great fun to handrear. My wife isn't a great bird fan but even she loved the young Quakers.

Linnies - Never kept them. Would think they are well worth considering.

Princess - Also good. Relatively placid, also have an attractive cinnamon mutation but need regular worming as they are seem prone to pick up worms

Regards

Alf63
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Weavers, I am sure there are people on here who can supply you with some, and those nests are fantastic. And you really want to do it.
LML
LML
Myzomela

It is all about personal preference and it is hard to get others to make choices for you because we all like different things.
Alf63 has summarised the parrots pretty well.
As for colony finches in that size aviary there are lots of choices: Aussies: gouldians BF parrot finches, masked,long tails, red brows, chestnut breasted, double bars,zebs, poss diamonds or yellow rumps.
Waxbills- saints, orange breasts, red strawberries;
Munias/mannikins: silverbills, possibly nuns, javan munias, bengalese. There are probably others I've forgotten

And, as Jayburd has said, there are always softbills like silvereyes, scarlet honeyeaters, fruit doves, robins, bulbuls etc

To be honest it may be best to visit a few people who keep the species you are considering and see them in the flesh- not just how they look but how they behave, their temperament and other character and behavioural features. This may alter your perspective on some species, and confirm your interest in others.

Good luck Elferoz!
Research; evaluate;observe;act
elferoz777

Thanks for the advice.

I posted this to get the perspectives of others so to make sure I have considered everything.

I think linnies will be the go though of all birds mentioned these are the ones that I have not yet seen in person in an aviary (saw some in bred looking ones in a dodgy part of western syd once)...

Re the finches, weaver's and whydahs, I guess I was trying to elicit a response that might get me thinking about a species I have overlooked.

No rush fir me. I want this to be a well thought out aviary.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
elferoz777

Thanks to all who gave their piece.

After looking having a good look around others aviaries and the birds sale at Central coast on Sunday I have decided to go for the Princess Parrot.

Small, affordable, tough and colourful I think I will restart my hookbill career with these guys. I have already got a pair lines up Yellow/Blue with a Normal double Split.

I used to have superbs so I should be right.

I am going to complete another small aviary at the back in the coming months and plan on stocking this with Linnies which I will aim to get around Dec 2014 -Jan 2015.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds great El Feroz :D :thumbup:
make sure you post some photos!
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Diane

elferoz777 wrote: but I find myself wavering from it a little
You are right, the only cure for wavering is another aviary! Nice choice of parrot too.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits

Return to “Parrots”