Ground Parrots

Myzomela

The population of Ground Parrots on the Sunshine Coast in SE QLD appears to be on the way out.
http://sunshinecoastbirds.blogspot.com. ... ction.html

Oh well, Clive Palmer reckons they can just fly off and live somewhere else.

Can someone please tell me...how do idiots like him become multi-millionaires??
Research; evaluate;observe;act
arthur

Myzomela wrote:Can someone please tell me...how do idiots like him become multi-millionaires??
Well I can't . . but If I do find out I won't even tell my wife :silent: :silent:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Grab every good business opportunity that comes your way, and do not consider anyone or anything else. Sorry I could only follow that in so far as others of any living kind are not harmed in the process. Maybe that is why I am comfortable not rich.
LML
LML
SamDavis

Myzomela wrote:The population of Ground Parrots on the Sunshine Coast in SE QLD appears to be on the way out.
http://sunshinecoastbirds.blogspot.com. ... ction.html

Oh well, Clive Palmer reckons they can just fly off and live somewhere else.

Can someone please tell me...how do idiots like him become multi-millionaires??
Blind luck. Most idiots fail miserably in the game of life, but some just fluke it. :)
TomDeGraaff

I am afraid my former optimism about conservation, biodiversity and climate change is waning.

With the Abbotts, Palmers, Murdochs and Rhineharts of this world. I fear we are fighting a losing battle for our birds nee, the planet.

With government indifference, greed in some parts, and apathy, we are also losing our pure species of some aviary birds and struggling with exotics.

I lived a life working for aviculture foegoing many breeding experiences so that others could have their birds and so species would be available for my children etc. It seems, now that I am ready to start my real avicultural career, many species, wild and captive will simply be denied me and many, many others.

It would be good to hear the "bright side" of all this.... :( Any ideas????
GregH

You seem to have become disheartened with our Aussie pollies. If you want to know how Clive became a billionaire you could contact the Palmer United Party. I'm sure he agrees withMr Abbot tells us that we have too many national parks - especially in Tasmania. I don't know what's happening to me - I'm starting to think Bob Katter is a moderate.
TomDeGraaff

GregH wrote:You seem to have become disheartened with our Aussie pollies.
Yes. What with Parrot moguls creating their own registration scheme with the government, Importation denied us yet pigeons come in, smuggled ones cause disease and we law-abiders are just fobbed off; seeing the orange-bellied scheme deliberately denied us as an Englishman is imported to run a half successful project in Tasmania, the numbers plummet and we are STILL ignored; I saw most of the helmeted honeyeaters early in the project at Healesville years ago killed by inexperience using bad food, still we are ignored.

Rich idiots get access to the last of some species and basically sacrifice them to their ignorant egoes as they watch the last ones in their possession die off. Never mind the stupidity of Palmer et al. The morons seem to outnumber the goodies.

If the Car Enthusiasts Party can get a Senate seat, if the Shooters & Fishers Party can rule NSW, how are our birds and wildlife going to survive. Yes, I'm being a doomsayer. My rants are of no consequence, though. I'm sure it'll be all right on the night !!! ....

Sorry to hijack the thread. I'll stop now.
Tiaris

Don't know about the situation in Tasmania, but the local situation here is that we definitely do have too many National Parks. Most of those which existed before the last 10 years are very worthwhile for preservation but in recent times the NSW state government annexed many previous state forest areas as National Parks purely to appease the green vote based purely on the number of hectares of NP, not on the basis of conservation value of the land/habitat itself. This includes totally unnatural "habitat" as timber monoculture plantations declared as natural heritage areas. The result of this now is NSW National Parks have locked out the public from accessing those areas and do not manage the land near as well as State Forests previously did. No maintenance of fire trails, controlled hazard reduction burning at the appropriate time of year, no weed & feral animal control, etc. The reality on the ground is poorer habitat value and no access or use by the public who own and previously used these areas without as much detriment as the current mismanagement.
Rosco

Our environmental managers are hamstrung, underresourced and stupid. No point having National Parks till we know how to manage them. I have some sympathy for your views Tiaris.

Since we sacked the last gardeners after their plus 60,000 year old tenure and never bothered to find out how they did it, we are faced with the inevitable. Species will fall by the wayside. The kind of triage necessary to keep the boat afloat wont/cant happen, so we just got to suck it up.

Sad as a very sad thing, but......life goes on, just not as we knew it.
TomDeGraaff

Imo the previous "gardeners" weren't too flash, themselves. Plenty of megafauna extinctions back then and who knows how many little critters and plants through a vastly widened fire regime. :think:
Homo spp whatever the race are bad news for other species

Return to “Parrots”