Lime x Blue gouldian -Full Mutation Cross Success or Part?

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Look forward to hearing/seeing what happens. And glad you had a good trip.
LML
LML
$bill

here's a photo of a lime and blue from same nest

$bill

This venture on the mutation cross has been going on now for 2 years. Last year I lost all young that looked promising in the first 24 odd hour due to bad parenting.
Finally out of all my 016 breeding pairs I finally had one pair produce which I think is the end result. Hen laid 12 eggs -all fertile. Seven hatched and one died within the first 24 hours. After that they got into it and started to feed.
I originally thought I had 4 blues and 2 greens...WRONG! Turned out 2 blues and 4 greens....lol WRONG AGAIN!
Turned out the blues are actually GREY and that was confirmed today when another nest bolted and there were 4 greens and a genuine blue coloured young. After viewing that blue up close I can confirm that the two young from the nest in question are a light steel GREY.
This may have something to do with the white breasted black headed blue hens - their great grandparents as all the original lime and splits birds were purple chested. I was told they were split to white breasted but I don't think so.
White breasted greenback are coming out now so no reason why it shouldn't follow into the others.
Here's a photo of one of the white breasted 016 young and in the other photo from left to right bird 1 is lime and so too bird 5. very easy to pick out amongst the greenbacks although picture quality is poor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blue Cuban

Good work Bill... :clap:
Don't suppose you have a picture of a blue and the steel grey coloured bird together?

Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper
$bill

I took these couple of photos today. They guy I originally bought the Limes from told me once I crossed them with a normal purple breasted or white breasted black headed Blue if a new mutation was there -it would be a variant of the standard colour Blue....more of a powdery blue
Well I crossed both purple and the white breasted blues with the Limes but I don't know if this young is from the purple or white breasted cross. As of today I can see a different shade of blue coming through from the grey feathers.
I thought I'd get this shot as I don't know how long I will get the chance to do so. I think they appeared fitter just out of the nest...or the one in the photo did. You can see the normal blue in the bunch of young. Plus as a comparison you can see the lighter blue breaking through the grey birds feathers.
I am confident it's the new colour blue - but not too confident they will go the distance. That's why the photo...lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Mutation Finches”