seed v pellets

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I had my Quarrions ( hand reared ) on pellets for quite a while , I couldnt stand the smell sickly sweet smell they had to them ( the birds) nor could I handle the gigantic poops they did.
The pellets cost a small fortune and can be just as messy as seed as the birds still try to crack them open with the beaks so pellets still went every where.
I know people swear by pellets but Im not a fan.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
paul

crumbles,canaries even though they eat crumbles,they dont look happy.sound silly i no .but they seem more engerized on seed,yet crumbles are promoted as complete,19 percent protien.they should be thriving,but they dont seem to whistle as much.even star finches will eat crumbles but they 2 seem unhappy,even after 1week plus crumbles,give :roll: :roll: them seed and by next day, there flying about tight feathers,cant work it out. :roll:
cranberry

If nature intended for birds to eat crumbles then they would be eating crumbles in the wild. What do they eat in the wild? Seed...Crumbles = Biggest scam perpertrated on the avian community. You want your birds to have a good diet, feed them seed plus the occasional greens and supplements. Name me one advantage in feeding pellets. Reduced mess does not count as they make a mess with crumbles as well plus heaps of waste. Don't even talk about the extra cost of crumbles.
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

there are a lot of people who will say that the pellets/crumbles are a more complete diet for the birds, that you dont need to provide as much variety when you are feeding pellets/crumbles when compared to the amount of variety that you make available to your birds when feeding seeds.

when I started this topic it was to see how people feel about feeding pellets, what their thoughts & opinions are.
am against them myself, as I believe in keeping my birds diet as close to that which is available to them in the wild as possible
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
fincher

yes they do reckon the crumbles and pellets(Fruit Loops the prettybirds coloured pellets) are more of a complete diet as to seed. at work we make mixes up of a few different pellets and crumbles with seed.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They may well be a good idea for people who for whatever reason cant or wont go to the effort of providing natures extras.
But those people probably live in the middle of a large city and dont drive.
LML
LML

Return to “Diet & Food”