single hen bird with 7 young. will she raise them all?

Includes Species Profile.
elferoz777

As per my lwg ring post I lost my split blue cock today. This leaves my split blue hen alone to raise all 7 chicks.

Will she continue with them? Or shoyld I move some of the young to a nest with similar sized young?

What a loss ! That cock bird was gold
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
surfartist

I had the same problem last year losing a cock with 4 young about 1 week old. The hen did a terrific job raising the 4 of them by herself. Seven would be struggle I would think but others may have experienced that? hope all goes well
maureen_g

I suppose it depends on the individual bird. I had a cock raise 6 young after the hen died. Towards the end he was joined by another hen who helped him get them to fledging. If I'd had other nests with same aged bubs I wouldn't have taken the risk though. Would have moved some bubs to fosters. Good luck!!
gouldianpaul

elferoz777 wrote:As per my lwg ring post I lost my split blue cock today. This leaves my split blue hen alone to raise all 7 chicks.

Will she continue with them? Or shoyld I move some of the young to a nest with similar sized young?

What a loss ! That cock bird was gold
HI Steve,

IMO you have a 50/50 chance....if you had lost the hen you would have very little chance.

Best of luck.

Cheers
Paul
KENTUCKY

I have had a Hen rearing six youngsters by herself,
it is the incessant demand for food that will tax her health big time
big amounts of sprouted seeds and greens would be a big plus at least once a day twice would even be better, in particular sprouted seeds, that is the first thing they go for when feeding youngsters I find,
most beneficial for the chicks.
Keep us informed with a progress update.
Cheers
Ralph
Tiaris

My opinion is probably not the whole 7, but if she rears the majority of them I think that will prove her worth as an excellent parent. In my experience most clutches of 7 or more have at least one runt anyway which don't mature into worthwhile future breeding stock. Just keep the good tucker up to her and give her a rest after she is finished with this clutch as if she does do it or even comes close, she will be well worth preserving for future breeding. Good luck.
SamDavis

If you've got other nests with same age chicks then I'd definitely move a few - particularly any blues. I've never had a problem moving Gouldian chicks. As you know I don't have many Gouldians now but when I had heaps I used to move chicks around all the time.
elferoz777

i have noticed another cock bird guarding that nest now.

He only lets the hen in so I am hoping he is a spare that will take on feeding.

Checked the crops this morning and they were full on all 7.

I have had some spares feed other pairs chick s this season which is odd.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
ColouredFeathers

In my experience when you loose a parent bird leave the dead bird in the cage or aviary move it around every day but make sure its
up right I know it sounds silly but it has worked for me in my 30 years off breeding its happened to me 3 times and all 3 times have saved the chicks.
at the moment i lost a split blue hen last week the chicks were 10 days old i left her in the cage and the blue cock bird is feedind the chicks to leave the dead bird in there it carmes the other one down ,that's my story hope it helps.
cheers flavio :thumbup:
Image Image Image
elferoz777

Thanks for the great advice.

Whatever works works and its worth a try. Ill check them tomorrow.

Return to “Gouldian”