Red Browed sexing

Normal and lesser Red Browed.
Includes Species Profile.
Jenk

elferoz777 wrote:I have heard some will only nest in live/very fresh tea tree and not the dry stuff.

I wouldn't know from experience as I haven't kept them but I do know the wild ones in the back paddock nest in lantana, tea tree and any other thick bushy plant they can find.

Sounds like you are looking after them well.

Good luck
Ok thanks.
Jenk
Jenk

Tiaris wrote:It would be extremely rare for them to use cane nests or other receptacles. Usually only dense brush is their chosen nest site.
Thanks Tiaras I'll have to see if I can locate some
Jenk
Tiaris

Just some bottlebrush &/or tea tree branches cut & fixed as dense bunches to the aviary walls should be fine.
jluna

Hi. I bred quite a few redbrows last year - 3 clutches, 4, 3 and 4. Each time the pair made a nest inside a wire cylinder which is attached to the wall and then covered in ti-tree... I really think if they're aviary- bred and not wild-caught, they will use receptacles at least as a base for their own building - but no question they need a lot of cover.
PS - regarding sexing, you will note the male has an olive-golden mantle across the 'shoulders' which the females do not have.
Jenk

jluna wrote:Hi. I bred quite a few redbrows last year - 3 clutches, 4, 3 and 4. Each time the pair made a nest inside a wire cylinder which is attached to the wall and then covered in ti-tree... I really think if they're aviary- bred and not wild-caught, they will use receptacles at least as a base for their own building - but no question they need a lot of cover.
PS - regarding sexing, you will note the male has an olive-golden mantle across the 'shoulders' which the females do not have.
Hi Jluna,

Thanks for the info, I guess my nests just aren't dense enough will give them more cover and see what happens.
Jenk
elferoz777

How did they go jenk?
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.

Return to “Red Browed”