Yellow Billed in mixed aviary?

Yellow Billed and Red Billed (Hecks)
Includes Species Profiles
Painted4

Just wondering if the Yellow Billed Longtail would be suited to a mixed aviary? I'v heard that they can be a bit too inquisitive/steal other birds nests?
mccabe_07

How many pairs are you thinking of keeping? Remember they may be a bit intimidating to the smaller species but still a single pair in my opinion goes well in a mixed collection obviously as long as no masks, hex longtails or parsons are in there as well. If you supply enough nesting sights and material they will be fine and also manage the young you breed as they can be boisterous when large numbers are in the aviary but generally the birds are fine always depends on the birds you get as well. Good luck with them
Painted4

Yeah was just looking at keeping one pair, and removing the young when they become independent. Thanks for the help, now I've just gotta finish the aviary :lol:
BOF33

Just wondering if the Yellow Billed Longtail would be suited to a mixed aviary?
I have a couple of pairs in a mixed aviary with 6 pairs of Gouldians, 1 pair of O.Bs, 1 pair of Red Cheeked Cordons.

The Longtails nest in the brush I have on the walls of my aviary or in half open nest boxes. They don't go near the Gouldian boxes, the O.Bs nest in wicker baskets and the Cordons nest in brush located at the back of the aviary. I have never seen a Longtail in any other nest except their own, in my set-up. They are not aggressive at all to any of my finches.

They are, if anything a little boisterous and enthusiastic but certainly not a problem to any other finch. I successfully breed 50+ Longtail young, maybe more, along with Cordons, O.Bs and Gouldians, all with no real issues.

You are right. You will need to remove the young birds once weened, to a holding aviary.

Lots of live food!

Return to “Long Tailed”