Iridescent sheen - SFY/B Gouldian

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Passiflorafinch

I just wanted to check in with you guys, or see if any of you had seen this before. I have a male SFY who has a couple of interesting markers as being split to blue (he was sold to me as such). He isn't colored up fully, but his back is coming in with a few random greenish-blue feathers and his white feathers iridesce teal like my silver female. This is my first experience with a split, but I was under the assumption that /b was indistinguishable from a normal yellow? You can see what I'm talking about in the photo below.

Diane

I think I can see a "blueness" in normals I consider to be split, time will tell if this is right. Cant say Ive looked for blueness in tails of yellows, might take a look through the aviaries.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Passiflorafinch

Diane wrote:I think I can see a "blueness" in normals I consider to be split, time will tell if this is right. Cant say Ive looked for blueness in tails of yellows, might take a look through the aviaries.
Yeah, let me know if you do. What about the odd green feathers in yellows? Does that just happen sometimes? None of my other SF or DF have them.
Diane

Odd greenish feathers or patches in our yellow birds are usually thought of as Aussie Yellows, didnt think you had this in the States, but I guess anything is possible.
Check out these pics for comparison of other birds possibly AY.
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=12596&p=118083&hi ... ow#p118083
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=10893&p=109751&hil ... ow#p109751
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Passiflorafinch

Thanks for the links. Here's a photo. He's the least "domesticated" of my birds so he's hard to photograph, but he has several green feathers like this. He's just coming out of his juvenile moult so only time will tell I guess.

Return to “Mutation Finches”