Are they really that bad?

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
Lachlan1

Hi team,

I've decided I want to give Madagascar weavers a shot but have a few questions about their aggression. I've done my research about them on both previous posts on this forum and other websites and believe I have a decent understanding of their requirements. Due to the fact I don't have the largest setup in the world I only have individual flights available for 1 supposed aggressive species which are Crimsons. This means that I would have to put them in an aviary that measure 2 high, 3 long and 2.2 wide with a few pairs of Gouldians. From what I've read every pair is different but It would be great for any feedback on breeders thoughts of this setup. The one good thing I see about this setup is I would be putting them with a bird that won't compete with them for livefood, nesting sites and are a bit more robust than other finches. The only issue is the size of the aviary and when breeding begins as I have no idea what to expect from these guys. Any feedback would be excellent.

Thanks team
arthur

Others may tell you differently, but I put MW's into an aviary 13m x 5m and heavily planted (on the advice of others) and they managed to wipe out several birds, which I considered to be robust
Lachlan1

Wow....... I guess I kinda saw this coming. If I land a good pair I'm cheering if I land a bad pair I'm stuffed. Starting to think the risk is greater than the reward. Thanks for your feedback Arthur.
Spitfire

I Bred Madagascar Weavers last season in a 4m by3m by 2.4 among Tri colour, cordons, cubans, in a Trio 1 cock 2 hens with plenty of live food and I had no problems whatever.
They do defend their nest area, but all birds do that. I had pure Madagascars with full red down to the vent, I was told they are not as aggressive as the half red ones, which are
mixed with the Comoro Weaver. Good Luck, maybe with just a few birds in a small aviary it would work. Is there any plants, shrubs in your aviary?? I also bred a pair in a small aviary
on their own. I have now re arranged my aviaries into 1 big aviary and all the Madagascars, Breeders and young were sold to a dealer in Sydney.
Lachlan1

The back half is very heavily planted (all walls lined with tea tree, bracken fern etc) and the front half has a few trees at varying heights and thicknesses but they are spread out to give the finches maximum flying room. That is interesting about the pure ones vs the ones crossed with Comoros. I guess when it comes to Spring I'll have to make a decision and deal with the consequences. Regardless, they are stunning birds. Thanks for the feedback mate.
elferoz777

Mine were ok until I cleaned the aviary one day. Cock bird went nuts and took out everything he could. They were fine 4 months prior and the had a nest with eggs then.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
E Orix

You will get comments regarding Madagascar Weavers from very amiable to absolute murderers.
Unless you have space for them on their own I really urge you to walk away.
It's a shame as they are quite spectacular colour wise.
My advice breed a few more birds and eventually invest in a pair/trio of Napoleons, they are far more interesting when they display
Their yellow and black coloured breeding plumage is really great and they will breed happily along side Cordons etc.
Lachlan1

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I really appreciate. It is possible you have saved me some money and heartache when it comes to these guys haha. But yes it is a shame because they are stunning birds.

@E Orix I have always loved Napoleons, but yes, I would want to ensure I was ready for them before investing in a trio. One of the reasons I was looking at Madagascar Weavers was to lead onto them. Is there any other finch that would be a good finch to learn from before investing in something like Napoleons?
Spitfire

Try a pair or Trio of Grenadier Weavers, If only a pair, pull the cockbird out once the Hen starts sitting. Put him back once the chicks start feeding themselves and out of the aviary.
Use SISAL for nesting material, cut in 200 mm. strips.
Plenty of Life food as weavers hardly eat anything else during the breeding season.
Trilobite

Lachlan1,
I originally purchased my birds from Eorix - I think a colony of 15, Held them in a holding aviary until fully coloured up. Selected what I though were the best males (full red colour as far down as possible) Then set up 3 males and 5 females in a 1.8*5*2.4 (w*l*h) just after Christmas - they bred about another 13 young before they went out of colour. They were in with red headed gouldians, white headed nuns and little button quail (and all are still there today) They have never shown any aggression to the RHG despite them being red. The males spend most of the day chasing each other around when in breeding season and leave the females to their nests and young. I think I have been lucky in that any smaller colony then this then fear the dominate male would just pound the weaker male or if only one pair, he would disrupt the female or take it out on the gouldians or whatever else you have in the aviary.
Like the others have said they are in a planted aviary but make their nests in the brush columns mostly. During the breeding season they are fed the normal dry mix, sprouted seed, and maggots. But I have also bred them on just dry seed alone - maybe I should say they continued to breed even when I wound the aviary back for they winter austerity diet of dry seed alone.

I have to disagree with the other comments about commencing with other weavers like the grenadier or napoleon weavers - rather you should have an aviary for each, they are all very different and very rewarding in their own ways.

Good luck
Cheers
Trilobite

Return to “Non Specific Questions”