Aussie yellow overpowering blue genes

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
alvin

Would not the blue bred from this combination be an AYB even though the blue shows no signs outwardly, it still carries the genes
iaos

Hi Alvin,

To your original question, aus yellow and blue are independent of each other. So yellow doesn't "overpower" blue.

If you had bred 16 birds from your double split pair combination based on probabilities you should have got 3.5 blues, 3.5 aus yellows and 1 AYB. You lucked out and got a whole heap of yellows and no blues.

As for the probabilities of what the normal phenotype birds are spilt for :? :crazy:
alvin

Hi
I bred 22, 1 yellow, The rest green with white patches under the bib and on top of the head, one has a pink beak with white under the bib and a white strip from the beak over the top of the head
iaos

Sorry Alvin, I misread your post.

When you said yellows, I somehow thought that you bred 6 :crazy:

Can you post photos, the one with the white stripe sounds interesting.

Cheers Ian
Craig52

alvin wrote:Would not the blue bred from this combination be an AYB even though the blue shows no signs outwardly, it still carries the genes
Both blue and AY are both autosomal recessive mutations meaning you can have splits for both cocks and hens.So a green bird bred from your mating is a double split eg Non visual split for blue but can be visual split for AY of which your young are.In other words,except for AY the blue gene is hidden hence they are called double splits.
If a blue is bred from your mating it could be seen to be a visual split to AY with the white bib/white neck markings or white markings else where.
The double combination full colour to both mutations is a white bird with bluish streaks in its back,in other words the yellow and the blue are cancelled out to produce white.
Hope that makes sense and NO :crazy: Sam. Cheers Craig
alvin

Hi Craig
I am aware of that, I just think regardless the the standard blue or mottled silvery blue produced,They should be still be called AYB as that what their genes are, if they green or yellow, AY split blues, as in the AY, mottled or clear, its still AY
Craig52

OK..........Craig :thumbup:

Return to “Mutation Finches”