Aussie yellow overpowering blue genes

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
alvin

I Have a pair of split to blue green backs, cock has a 2mm white patch under bib, showing split A/Y, the nests consisted of 8, 6, 5, have 11 on perch and 4 in nest box. Offspring, yellows, greens with white under bib,have one with a pink beak with white under the bib and a white strip over the head.Not one blue.Has any of you guys out there had the similar experience.I don`t keep the A/Y, That cock was the offspring from a blue cock I purchased the year before. Seems to me, if you trying to breed blues, having A/Y in the mix is a no no.any views out there, The hen breed blue chicks last year when paired to another cock which I lost.
Craig52

alvin wrote:I Have a pair of split to blue green backs, cock has a 2mm white patch under bib, showing split A/Y, the nests consisted of 8, 6, 5, have 11 on perch and 4 in nest box. Offspring, yellows, greens with white under bib,have one with a pink beak with white under the bib and a white strip over the head.Not one blue.Has any of you guys out there had the similar experience.I don`t keep the A/Y, That cock was the offspring from a blue cock I purchased the year before. Seems to me, if you trying to breed blues, having A/Y in the mix is a no no.any views out there, The hen breed blue chicks last year when paired to another cock which I lost.
To be honest Alvin,i'm glad you never bred any blues out of them but in saying that if you have bred 19 and you have lost 6,that six were probably AYB's which imo are the weakest double mutation ever to be produced.
I know you didn't deliberately breed these birds but there are others trying too and in my opinion they are stuffing up Australia's only,other than dilutes,mutation to produce a white bird with a few streaks in its back for big bucks.IMO only. Craig :thumbdown:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Whenever you breed a bird that is split to something, to another bird that is split for something you have to think of it as flipping 2 coins. 25% of the time you will get what you are after ON Average. So last year you flipped more one way, and this year more the other way. And next year you have an equal chance of going either way. However, if a bird is split for 2 things obviously you could get some of each of the things it is split for. So what was last years mate? If split blue you were lucky. If blue you had increased your chance of blues so the result was as you should have expected. Do what you want, but putting the hen to a different split blue will make no difference to the odds of what she produces being blue.
LML
LML
alvin

Last years mate was a split blue cock, this year is a split blue cock split A/Y, I didn`t think the the A/Y gene was so overpowering, The hen came from the same breeder that that this cocks father comes from, so maybe she may just be split to, but there is nothing showing it.He insists he doesn`t have A/Y in his birds, but the results say something else
gomer

I only have two pr and keep them seperate.one pr has produced some huge birds the other only a couple of average sized birds.I was told that one in sixteen will be recessive aussie blues if that your prefered term to call them.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Craig52

alvin wrote:Last years mate was a split blue cock, this year is a split blue cock split A/Y, I didn`t think the the A/Y gene was so overpowering, The hen came from the same breeder that that this cocks father comes from, so maybe she may just be split to, but there is nothing showing it.He insists he doesn`t have A/Y in his birds, but the results say something else
Alvin,to produce those different coloured young the hen has to be split blue and split AY as there is no such bird as split for EY.Not all split AY's show visual signs for being split and can look normal.
Years ago the only way of knowing you had a split AY was a few yellow feathers on the back of the head/neck and in the last few years a white bib patch has appeared but you can still have neither on a AY split. Cheers Craig
alvin

Hi Craig
I bred her last year, she produced blues and possible split to blue with no show of A/Y in the offspring
garyh

Dont know where you are coming from craig when you say your glad no blues were bred,blues bred to ay are very strong,and are usually quite good in size,its the aus blue that is produced that is week,when breeding blue to ay you take your chances as many birds can be produced that do not show any signs of being split to ay,when trying to breed the blue ay the ratio of success is very low,there is a breeder in NSW who is now calling the off spring as a color variation, not something i like but each to their own,garyh
Craig52

I stand to correct myself Gary,i meant AYB's as you know i am not a blue basher,i was one of the breeders that actually got blues to stay on the perch but as i said in my opinion all through my post,i still do not like the AY mutation being polluted by the blue to produce a white bird with a couple of streaks in its back.I believe breeders are still battling to keep AYB's on the perch,let alone get them to fledge out of the nest so there must be something that's not right. Cheers Craig
garyh

Yes ,i totally agree with you craig,sorry didn't mean you where blue bashing,garyh

Return to “Mutation Finches”