Dutch Law Bans hand-rearing of Young Parrots: What's Your Op

SamDavis

arthur wrote:
Tiaris wrote: I won't support any aviculturists shooting me in the foot to "help" me.

And they are out there :hothead:

My good wife says that when I die she is going to inscribe on my headstone: "He Never Volunteered . ."

I think I prefer: "You Don't Open Your Mouth . . You Don't Catch Flies . . "

But on a cost per letter basis she will probably get her way :silent:
In the single year I have been FSA president there has been a number of attempts (some successful) by federal, state and local government to impose regulations on bird keepers. The regulatory burden on us continues to increase. The purpose of self-regulation is to replace, avoid and substitute for government regulation. I’m suggesting we be proactive to prevent having to continually dodge bullets.
SamDavis

Tiaris wrote:We need to be mindful that the general standard of care given to birds in aviculture has improved significantly over time and this is continuing all the time. I can remember when the average bird aviary was no better than the average chook pen and I don't consider myself to be old yet. Look at how finch diets and health management have improved over recent decades. We need to be proud of these advances and should promote these facts to government in defending aviculture from any unwarranted regulations. The way to prevent unwarranted regulatory intrusions into our hobby is to strenuously argue against them and defend aviculture by highlighting the improvements in animal welfare which have evolved ( and are continuing to evolve) in line with broader community expectations, not to be the architects of our own encumberances.
To be clear, please note everyone that I 100% agree with everything Tiaris says above. It is how this is achieved in practice that is the subject of my intention.
budgiebreeder

There is hand rearing and hand rearing. Doing so to save starving chicks is YES! Taking pin-feather chicks away from their parents and feeding them "formula" for weeks so that they don't know they are birds is NO!
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SamDavis wrote: In the single year I have been FSA president there has been a number of attempts (some successful) by federal, state and local government to impose regulations on bird keepers.
Just to be clear there is no such thing as Local Government!! Federal and State do not recognise a 3rd teir of Government.... they are purely a corporation.. :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Tiaris

In what way are local councils just corporations?

Return to “Parrots”