Is this Legal?

Pictorella

I can't see how hybridising would save an endangered species. Once the pure genes are mixed surely the species is lost eg Black-eared Miner.
A world without birds is a world not worth living in :)
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pictorella wrote:I can't see how hybridising would save an endangered species. Once the pure genes are mixed surely the species is lost eg Black-eared Miner.
I don't know but there are scientists trying to save species by doing it... http://www.haaretz.com/weekend/magazine ... m-1.533731
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reading both articles and others that are out there. The oppinions vary as to if the minimum number of a species needed to exist and keep it viable is as high as 2000 or as low as 500. But either way, it seems to be agreed that if the numbers drop below this. The species is a goner. So you have reached the point where hybridising may save it. So you then make a judgement call. Total extinction, or save a hybridised version? I guess a hybridised version is better than none. But maybe not in everyones oppinion.
LML
LML
CathyCraftz

Well they are the same species so I suppose It's legal.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Parrots”