Red Eyed Gouldian - Aus Yellow or Lutino?

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
arthur

finchbreeder wrote: Good luck with this bird and it's parent/s. So maybe the parents need different mates next season to try and pull out a half sib.
LML
I would leave the parents together to produce more . .

And put the hen (which it will be if SLR) to different cock bird in successive seasons

And as Sam says hold onto the cockbirds

SLR mutations are much easier to outcross than AR's

Congrats . . and hopefully this is where the fun (work) starts
garymc

Good Luck Rich

A friend of mine was offered some lutino gouldians a few years ago. They were part of Henny D's collection which were being sold off after his passing.
Blue Cuban

arthur wrote:
finchbreeder wrote: Good luck with this bird and it's parent/s. So maybe the parents need different mates next season to try and pull out a half sib.
LML
I would leave the parents together to produce more . .

And put the hen (which it will be if SLR) to different cock bird in successive seasons

And as Sam says hold onto the cockbirds

SLR mutations are much easier to outcross than AR's

Congrats . . and hopefully this is where the fun (work) starts
Correct parents will stay together and ill keep working with their offspring if we make it that far... fingers crossed.. :shock:

Not sure of the advantages of splitting the parents unless you would want to stop this mutation (if it is a true mutation). :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobby finch Keeper
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The only reason to split them was as I said. To produce half sibs. Definately not to stop the mutation. I would hardly have wished you luck if I did not mean it. But Arthurs method is also a very effective way to go.
LML
LML
Blue Cuban

Arh.... I think the saying is "You cant beat experience"...lol

Now I understand what you would achieve, you would of gotten a new blood line in one generation earlier and with that offspring if any cocks you could cross it back to the Red eyed bird and possible produce cocks with red eyes and if not they would be 100% split to red eyes.

I think this was your way of thinking, maybe?

I would be a little concerned if I did split them (not that I will be) they would take a while to breed again if they did at all.

But your right your way of thinking is definitely another positive way of doing things.... thanks..!!
Hobby finch Keeper
Blue Cuban

Also another bonus to crossing the father of the red eyed bird to a different hen you could also eliminate the possibility of the red eyed bird having Aus Yellow influences if you could guarantee the new hen is 100% normal and carries no mutations.
Hobby finch Keeper
Craig52

Congratulations Richard,take on board with everything said but you seem to know what you are doing. Cheers and good luck Craig :thumbup:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Like you I would in most cases keep them together and get as many chicks as they will, without exhausting themselves, produce. But you had said that they had lost chicks in the past that may have been of this type. As mutations are sometimes weaker than normal appearing birds, the outcross method can not only give you birds that are less related quicker, but can give you the vigor you may be lacking. Yes you are of course right that they may not redily take with a new mate. You are the guy in the hot seat. :hothead: So the one who must make these decissions. And you know what is happening there, all any of us can do is give you information to consider. And wish you the best of luck. :thumbup:
LML
LML
TomDeGraaff

I agree with Arthur. It's a sensible approach that covers all bases, I reckon.
Tom
Blue Cuban

And just when you think you understand the genetics and that it is said to be sex-linked (like Japan, Europe and America) you find a little info that conflicts (cant always believe what you read either).

I pulled this little clipping from Delmar Gouldian Finches - USA Lutino History.

http://gfinches2.com/lutino_history_timeline

Also if you scroll down to the year 2012 this maybe referring to TheFinchMans101.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobby finch Keeper

Return to “Mutation Finches”