Red Eyed Gouldian - Aus Yellow or Lutino?

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Blue Cuban

Right so I am guessing your birds are green backs or single factor green.

Yes all birds picture in this topic have had bright red eyes once opened and then they slowly fade to almost a black but in certain angles in the light you can still see a dark red.

These birds are some thing I'm working on at home most of the time they don't live pass a few days.
Hobby finch Keeper
Blue Cuban

Another week has passed and I've return home and I have another bird just like the bird that started this topic.

This chick is 7 days old and its eyes have just started to open and appear blood red again with plum colouring around the eye sockets (more than the previous chick) on the outer skin and a jaundice colour all over the body, just like the first chick.

It is a big healthy looking chick so there is not much more that I can wish for...Happy days..!!

Also this morning I noticed the first bird that prompted this topic is around 2months old and is feeding its siblings from this latest clutch.
These birds never seem to stop surprizing me.

I really need to learn how to take better pictures....hehe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobby finch Keeper
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Same family/parents? Glad to hear they are big and healthy.
LML
LML
Blue Cuban

finchbreeder wrote:Same family/parents? Glad to hear they are big and healthy.
LML
Yes all the same happy little family. :)
Hobby finch Keeper
gouldianpaul

Blue Cuban wrote:Right so I am guessing your birds are green backs or single factor green.

Yes all birds picture in this topic have had bright red eyes once opened and then they slowly fade to almost a black but in certain angles in the light you can still see a dark red.

These birds are some thing I'm working on at home most of the time they don't live pass a few days.
Yes the birds I was referring to are definitely single factor cock birds....they originate from Black Headed single factor birds....cheers, Paul
Blue Cuban

Just another update to how this bird is colouring up.

This bird is almost 3months old and today when I released it into the moulting aviary I took some pictures.
In the shade I would describe the eyes as Garnet in colour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobby finch Keeper
Blue Cuban

And here are some pictures taken with a cheap sony SLR camera.

The red in the eyes shown here is as you would see it in the aviary.
Hobby finch Keeper
Craig52

Well done Rich,you have got to be on to some thing there,its eye is very similar to a fawn mutation but a lot more lighter plum colour,keep up the good work and keep the pics coming. Cheers Graig :thumbup:
garyh

As i said before,your on to something,as Craig said keep the good work up,and dont be afraid to out cross to keep the bird strong,it will pay dividends in the end,garyh
Blue Cuban

Thanks guys.... :thumbup:

This bird is a big health bird that show a lot of vigour.

Up until today when I removed her from its parents and younger siblings it was flat out feeding the younger chicks showing some good parenting skills but her mother had some big issues with her and this also was preventing the parents going back to nest.

Not a big fan of breeding out of season but I am also a believer if they are not physically up to it they wont so ill let them breed again if they want, even more so when they are having young like so.

When she is ready to breed I don't think ill have a issue with her just need to find a good partner.

Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper

Return to “Mutation Finches”