WOW..

vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
elferoz777

He is not based in Nigeria?

There was a scam ad on petlink recently for macaws but that guy was giving them away for free.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

elferoz777 wrote:He is not based in Nigeria?

There was a scam ad on petlink recently for macaws but that guy was giving them away for free.

No not a Scam he is legit..
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
willy

You see them advertised in the back of ABK and AviaryLife, always wondered how much they were. Certainly not giving them away. Interesting how Hyacinth Macaws, Shining Parrots, Hawk Headed Parrots, etc. have appeared in the last couple of years. You didn't hear about them even 5 years ago. Maybe a glimmer of hope for some of the lost, or nearly lost finch species here in Australia.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

willy wrote:You see them advertised in the back of ABK and AviaryLife, always wondered how much they were. Certainly not giving them away. Interesting how Hyacinth Macaws, Shining Parrots, Hawk Headed Parrots, etc. have appeared in the last couple of years. You didn't hear about them even 5 years ago. Maybe a glimmer of hope for some of the lost, or nearly lost finch species here in Australia.

Funny that hey....wonder where they have been hiding? if so their gene pools must be very very low.. :think:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Blue and Gold Macaws have been in WA for at least 10 years, probably more. Do not know if they came via sale of illegal birds that were confiscated or what.
LML
LML
TomDeGraaff

It's a real shame such birds might be offered as pets. Funny how an unrelated pair has been bred from what must be a very small gene pool sustained over 70 years!

Nonetheless, I must agree with the view that so called "experts" are not being very expert when they say categorically that such-and-such is no longer here. How can anyone be so sure? And if you are an author, your words take on an even more serious tone since the authorities are more likely to accept your view. As misinformed as it might be.

It certainly does give hope for other species but finches are not as long-lived as macaws and the technology of breeding parrots seems to be much more advanced. Still, I have seen house finches and Peter's twinsots comeout of the woodwork. I have always held the viiew that the NEBRS figures were flawed and the "education" campaign by the feds was insufficient.

Their first attempt at a list excluded the currasows, paradise whydahs and condors kept at the time in the zoo system!! As VAC secretary, I consistently challenged their ability to produce a comprehensive and complete list of exotic species in Australia. I would bet yellow hammers and Madagascar lovebirds are still around somewhere. When NEBRS collapsed through some sort of data crisis, both these species were on the books. We're talking 1990s. I'm old !

Tom
arthur

http://www.environment.gov.au/system/fi ... pecies.pdf

Perhaps before casting 'nasturtiums' people should consult the above list . .

Which some regard as incomplete, I might add
TomDeGraaff

arthur wrote:http://www.environment.gov.au/system/fi ... pecies.pdf

Perhaps before casting 'nasturtiums' people should consult the above list . .

Which some regard as incomplete, I might add
Yes, I reckon the list was only a snapshot, personally.
iaos

Also bear in mind that our parrot keeping brethren had a window of imports in the 90's.

Return to “Parrots”