Spiky Bushes

List what type of plants you keep in your aviaries/cages
willy

Has anybody experienced a preference in nesting sites in an aviary situation for spiky or thorny plants over plants without thorns? I have seen a presentation that E orix gave at an FSA meeting on youtube thanks to SamDavis where he talks about the benefits of using Roses as aviary plants. I was thinking of using Mimosa Bush (Acacia farnesiana), African Boxthorn (Lycium ferocissimum), Native Orange (Capparis mitchelli), and Bush Caper (Capparis lasiantha). The reason for these species is they are all growing on my property anyway, and the Zebras, Double Bars, and Wrens use these in preference to anything else.
E Orix

One of the many reasons for me using Rose Bushes is the fact that their thorns point downwards and if a bird gets
caught up on a thorn by the ring it will drop off in the majority of times. Personally I have not discovered any bird being caught up.
For those with pressure from wives,the flowers look great and can be picked.
The Rose is a tough plant and can be cut back hard each year so it will thicken and not grow through the roof.
Just a tip think about using Standard Roses, you can buy them with a bit extra height compared to Bush Roses, the single stem means it is easily cleaned around. If you do have a mouse about they won't try to dig their holes around as there isn't the cover they want.
Yes I am an advocate of the Rose Bush E Orix
willy

Thanks E Orix it was an interesting presentation you gave, I know you mentioned the birds preference for the roses as nest sites. Have you over the years tried any other spiky plants in aviaries? I am aware of the potential danger of rings getting caught on spikes but dried brush hanging on the walls of aviaries have plenty of small twigs that could hook a bird ring, and every now and then do. I am just interested to know if anybody has tried spiky bushes as I would like to give them a go.
Tiaris

One of the prickliest native plants you are likely to encounter (Hakea sericea) is a highly favoured nest site for wild finches in the Hunter Valley. Noticing this with the wild finches Dad & I used them in the aviary once years ago - never again. Many painful skin pricks in hands and arms when collecting & eventual rebrushing made them a definite one-off.
Spitfire

Tried Boxthorn once, never again, birds use it for nests but difficult to get close.
E Orix

I was using Hawthorn Bushes years ago but preferred the Rose.
I have a couple of Bottle Brush but they struggle when they are attacked each Autumn with the chain saw.
Golden Privets as well but quite a few larger grass clumps. My aviaries are getting less planted and I have a specific plan with
the way I am setting up. It also depends on the species you keep.
Buzzard-1

Willy The last thing I would plant is Mimosa, I hung rollypoley upside down but don't plan on checking nests and burn at the end of the season.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

African Boxthorn is a notifiable weed in WA for good reason. Rats and mice love it for nesting in.
LML
LML
Buzzard-1

finchbreeder wrote:African Boxthorn is a notifiable weed in WA for good reason. Rats and mice love it for nesting in.
LML
In NSW as well
TomDeGraaff

The African boxthorn is a declared noxious weed inall Australian states & territories:

http://www.weeds.org.au/WoNS/africanbox ... FA-web.pdf

"African boxthorn is a declared noxious weed in all Australian states and territories. Many agencies, community groups and individuals invest considerable resources each year
on boxthorn control."

Tom

Return to “Types of plants”