Yellow Headed Gouldians

Includes Species Profile.
KENTUCKY

If there ever was a Grassy that took my fancy, it would be a pair of Scarlets,
what a neat looking Pair you have got there.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No matter what head colour you want to breed, buy the birds that look most like what you want to achieve. And of those you breed keep those closest to your ideal colour and sell or swap those least like what you want. Remembering to buy or swap outcross birds of the desired colouring to keep them from becoming inbred. What used to be called yellow heads are definately becoming more orange over time. Probably because those are what people liked most and bred most. But it can go back the other way by a change in taste and what we choose to keep and breed. So do it your way.
LML
LML
Blue Cuban

Are we acknowledging that their is in fact 4 head colours? Or just one of the head colours have a range of variance?
I was always under the impression that orange/yellow heads were the same mutation as long as it has a yellow tip bill and any coloured bill that strays from yellow is genetically a red head dispite phenotype.

So this variation of head colour is it happening in birds with a yellow or red tip beak?

If wanting to bread yellow heads I would recommend only breeding birds that carry the red gene and that have a yellow bill.
Hobby finch Keeper
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In my opionion "Yellow" headed Gouldians are like human blondes. They come in colours from butter yellow to deep orange = platinum blonde to ash blonde. It is one colour with a wide variation in shade. By selective breeding, it may be possible to establish the extremes as fixed colours. I would however check that with a genetacist. So if you like butter yellow, always pick the birds you can get that are closest to that, and as I said in my earlier post continue to buy in only those that meet your colour preference and cull out those that do not. My 'Yellows" are currently a nice orange colour, but I do select to mid orange and away from deep orange. Would love some real butter yellows like my Dad had back when I was a kid.
LML
LML
alvin

Bred this boy 2015
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is a very "flame" coloured head. And all round vibrant colouring.
LML
LML

Return to “Gouldian”