Difficulty in Siskins.

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
Painted4

I've been curious of this for a while now, figured this is the best place to ask.
What have people found to be more difficult to keep and breed, the Hooded Siskin, or Red Siskin? I've always thought, from what i've read, that the Red is harder to breed.
Thanks, Painted4
branchez

I have found the Red a bit hit and miss,last year they did nothing while the pair of Yellows fledged 11 young from 3 nests.
(housed separately)Hopefully both will do something this year as all males are in fine voice.
Jack
Painted4

branchez wrote:I have found the Red a bit hit and miss,last year they did nothing while the pair of Yellows fledged 11 young from 3 nests.
(housed separately)Hopefully both will do something this year as all males are in fine voice.
Jack
Thanks, have you ever housed them as 1 cock to two hens?
Good luck :thumbup:
branchez

Painted4 wrote:
branchez wrote:I have found the Red a bit hit and miss,last year they did nothing while the pair of Yellows fledged 11 young from 3 nests.
Jack
Thanks, have you ever housed them as 1 cock to two hens?
Good luck :thumbup:
Currently have the Reds as 1 cock and 2 hens,but not sure for how long as one hen is giving the other the runaround.
The yellows are 1 pair in one aviary and 2 pairs in another,this so far doesn't seem to be a problem.
Jack
Painted4

branchez wrote:Currently have the Reds as 1 cock and 2 hens,but not sure for how long as one hen is giving the other the runaround.
The yellows are 1 pair in one aviary and 2 pairs in another,this so far doesn't seem to be a problem.
Jack
Alright, thanks, gives me something to think about.
Lachlan1

I'm glad someone asked this question because I completely agree. Based on my research on both the species through reading the mexican siskin alway sound much easier to breed yet appear more scarce? I have only seen mexicans once yet I've seen the reds plenty of times but to be honest I have never pursued either heavily. Both stunning finches though.
Painted4

Lachlan1 wrote:I'm glad someone asked this question because I completely agree. Based on my research on both the species through reading the mexican siskin alway sound much easier to breed yet appear more scarce? I have only seen mexicans once yet I've seen the reds plenty of times but to be honest I have never pursued either heavily. Both stunning finches though.
That was my reasoning for asking too, as i've very rarely seen the Hooded siskin for sale....Honestly, I prefer the Hooded over the red, going by looks only.
If my other finches do well this season, I hope to get a pair or a trio of Hoodeds.
Lachlan1

Painted4 wrote:That was my reasoning for asking too, as i've very rarely seen the Hooded siskin for sale....Honestly, I prefer the Hooded over the red, going by looks only.
If my other finches do well this season, I hope to get a pair or a trio of Hoodeds.
I find the Mexican much more attractive as well. Hope all goes to plan!
Painted4

Lachlan1 wrote:I find the Mexican much more attractive as well. Hope all goes to plan!
Spitfire

Over the years ,it has been worked out with both types of Siskins, that 1 pair to an aviary is the go.
The hens seem to have a jealous streak in them and always tend to cause havoc, only the dominant one usually breed.

Return to “Non Specific Questions”