Aviary plants for a part-shade area.

List what type of plants you keep in your aviaries/cages
Painted4

Just wondering if anyone can give me a few ideas on grasses/small shrubs that do well in part shade, and are safe for the birds?
Thanks, P4
GregH

A great grass for part shade and for providing seed is palm grass (Settaria palmifolia) but it won't tolerate really hard frosts. I might be able to help you more if you can tell me what sort of soil you have and if you get frosts.
Painted4

Its a heavy soil, and yes we do get frosts.
I have some Palm grass growing in some of the other aviaries, but that is 'strategically' planted to avoid frost damage. :lol:
GregH

There are some natives that will be OK in the shade. Have a google at some of the species of Correa, Westringia or Thryptomene which are sure to be at a local nursery. Dwarf lilly pilly (Syzigium ‘Tiny Tim’ or ‘Allyn Magic’) could be OK with an annual hair-cut and it will withstand a light frost. Japanese forest grass (Hakonechloa macra) might provide a nesting site for quail and looks good but I haven't seen it flower so it may not be a good one if you want seeding grass for the birds.
Painted4

GregH wrote:There are some natives that will be OK in the shade. Have a google at some of the species of Correa, Westringia or Thryptomene which are sure to be at a local nursery. Dwarf lilly pilly (Syzigium ‘Tiny Tim’ or ‘Allyn Magic’) could be OK with an annual hair-cut and it will withstand a light frost. Japanese forest grass (Hakonechloa macra) might provide a nesting site for quail and looks good but I haven't seen it flower so it may not be a good one if you want seeding grass for the birds.
Thanks, i'll have a look at the local nurseries and see what they have :thumbup:
Cheers, P4

Return to “Types of plants”