Colony or single pairs?

Includes Species Profile.
Isienfier

I'm just getting into breeding Gouldians, and I'm interested to know whether it is better to colony breed them? Or in single pairs. I currently have 2 pairs. And am wondering whether to put them in the Same aviary or not thanks.
elferoz777

Depends.

If you dont care whi breeds with who then colony is the way. If you want more control separate them.

I would run 3 pairs rather than 2 as there are too many pairs and the dominant pair has 4 other birds to harass.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
garyh

Hi ,i have two pairs per aviary ,works perfect for me ,but if you want to selective breed then you need to separate them,garyh
gouldianpaul

I'm with Gary...I also pair up two pairs per aviary. In each aviary I'm normally not too fussed which cock pairs up with which hen, but this year I had two pairs in a particular aviary that I wanted to pair up a certain way. So I put the first pair in the aviary, waited until they went to nest before introducing the 2nd pair. During the time it took the first pair to go to nest I had the 2nd pair in a separate cage (together) pairing up. That particular aviary produced my best results this year. I'm sure it was not because of the delayed pairing, just the way it worked out.

Cheers
Paul

Return to “Gouldian”