BLACK HEADED BLUE GOULDIANS

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
elferoz777

If I wasn't in Peru your phone would be ringing lol :lolno:

Well put Paul I could not have put it better.

Having 10 splits is better insurance than having only 2 coloured birds and as you put it they produce the goods in the end it just takes a little time. I can tell my split blues from normals so I get the bonus of slightly blue splits.

My advice to the haters is if you don't/can't look after the birds or don't like them then don't read and reply to the posts about them...alternatively start your own topic about them.

It's like my lines. I got paid out for getting them because "they won't breed" apparently. I was aiming to put at least 5 years into them and at least try different methods. Lucky I did my research I got some positive advice as they are now on eggs after being in my aviaries all of 4 months.

My point being anything worthwhile takes time and commitments.

This is why the money hungry fail. Birds don't make money but the value is in the challenge whether it's rare species or mutations.
Last edited by elferoz777 on 21 Nov 2014, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Craig52

Congratulations guys and well said,keep up the good work with the blues. Cheers Craig :)
ColouredFeathers

Well said Paul you are 100% right :thumbup: :thumbup: do the right thing with the birds and the rewards will come in time.
Image Image Image
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is this where I point out I have no Blues. Only split - possible split blues? :parp: Sometimes the anticipation is half the fun.
LML
LML
Blue Cuban

finchbreeder wrote:Is this where I point out I have no Blues. Only split - possible split blues? :parp: Sometimes the anticipation is half the fun.
LML
I'm in the same situation and I'm so excited to see what this season brings.
I am in no rush to get a cage full of blues other wise I would go spend a few thousand dollars and have it sorted yesterday.
Instead I'm enjoying my birds and really getting to know them and I'm convinced that in 2-3yrs I will have breed myself a cage full of blues, I know this because the guys from Victoria have already done it and they did it with patients...

Well done guys :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper
Budgie_Smugglers

All aboard. . . chooo choooo. . :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
Well said guys :clap: I agree :thumbup:
BluJay

What are the costs of these blue birds and or splits? How are blue splits identified? Regards.
Blue Cuban

BluJay wrote:What are the costs of these blue birds and or splits? How are blue splits identified? Regards.
From my experience here in Perth $300 will get you a blue and $150 for a split.

Currently there is no solid way of picking a split blue although I know a few breeders that think they can pick a split and have done correctly from possible splits that they have breed from proven split parents, a hole new ball game if you go buying splits out of a anoth cage where you know nothing about the history of the bird.

When buying splits its a gamble unless you can trust the breeder.
Hobby finch Keeper
BluJay

Whom are the most reputed blue Gouldian breeders? Regards
E Orix

It's great reading the posts from the Gouldian fraternity your passion is great especially those on this Forum.
Maybe it's the reason you are so successful
But out crossing any specie should be the normal direction anyway. If you add new blood lines you will continue
with type and size.
One thing that does ruffle me is when people state that if breeders weren't so greedy then more would have a
chance of having access to them. Demand creates the price!!!!!
Before those that don't have them start getting ruffled just think about the situation. How much money did the seller
lay out originally.The time and effort required to be successful which then enables a surplus to be made available.
As for putting money ahead of the birds,isn't those that do the extras for the birds breed the most.
The Blue Gouldian is interesting in the way it evolved, from memory the first Blue appeared around 1982.
The person set up the establishment similar to those in the UK at the time.
For good or bad it was discovered that there was the likelihood of big Dollars being made,similar to the Lovebird boom.
Over the next maybe 10 years+ greed took over and little thought was even considered about out crossing.
Maybe the knowledge wasn't there. Result inferior birds were going on to the market and massive losses were experienced.
Some of our most successful breeders totally failed and bailed out. The bad reputation had began and continued like wild fire.
Different theories and opinions were exchanged and are still being exchanged.
In the mean time some serious breeders were trying to work out how to protect their investment and get decent stock on the perch.
Those that went back to basics are now the successful ones and are putting good stock on the market.
You don't have to be too smart to work out those that have made that effort. They deserve good prices for good stock, if you
want to pay cheap prices so be it but check the quality.
One thing that must be said about the original breeder, he may have breed so many Blue Gouldian for maybe the wrong reason
but because of his methods we at least had the weak stock to be improved to what it is today.
And finally I still prefer the normal coloured Gouldians with a slight weakness for the White Breasted ones though. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Return to “Mutation Finches”