Green-backed Purple-breasted Gouldians

Includes Species Profile.
TomDeGraaff

I am no expert on Gouldian colours so I am probably going to show my complete ignorance!

I wonder why so many people refer to the normal, wild-type Gouldian as "green-backed" as opposed to "blue-backed" (parblue?), yellow-backed (which one?) and the dilute-backed (sort of understandable).

It seems to me that other species are not usually referred to that way (although "red-faced" star also seems to me an oxymoron).
Same with "purple-breasted".

I suppose I'm about to answer my own question when I say it usually happens when a combination of mutations occurs. Maybe it clarifies the characteristics of the bird but is it necessary?

Shouldn't people looking for or breeding Gouldians know what characteristics a normal Gouldian has? Shouldn't we assume the normal charcteristic if nothing is said? For instance a GB PB means normal, doesn't it? Are we on track to treat the wild colours as just another choice rather than the original adapted species?

I just think anyone who has these birds or is wanting to breed them should know this. Sorry to pick on Gouldians but a recent advert for them sparked my questions. Am I being too picky? I do have that problem sometimes ! :)
Tiaris

I'll add to that with my gripe: "white-breasted normal" erks me. Nothing against the bird at all, white-breasted just ain't normal.
Blue Cuban

Same here.
If you tell me you have a red,black or orange/yellow head normal gouldian I expect a purple breast and a green back.

I think it's one of those things we just let slide.

Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper
garyh

When you sell gouldians the amount of people that ring you that know very little or nothing about the birds is amazing,so to state the obvious just makes it easier sometimes,and i agree about the white breasted ,garyh
Craig52

Tiaris wrote:I'll add to that with my gripe: "white-breasted normal" erks me. Nothing against the bird at all, white-breasted just ain't normal.
That might erk you Tiaris but it is the common way of expressing what you have for sale,white breasted is in all gouldian mutations as well as "normals",which means the normal wild type gouldian back colour but has a white breast mutation instead of purple so it is common practice to call them WBN's

So we have WB blues,WB Euro yellows, WB Australian yellows which by the way is a different WB mutation but some are mixed with both,WB "normals" or WB green backs which is the only green back bird other than the paler shades of green eg Lime backs and Australian Dilute WB,so the cocktail continues and there is no way of stopping it imo

Craig
Tiaris

I don't even think WBs have the normal green back - more an olive shade.
BluJay

Uraeginthus wrote:I am no expert on Gouldian colours so I am probably going to show my complete ignorance!

I wonder why so many people refer to the normal, wild-type Gouldian as "green-backed" as opposed to "blue-backed" (parblue?), yellow-backed (which one?) and the dilute-backed (sort of understandable).

It seems to me that other species are not usually referred to that way (although "red-faced" star also seems to me an oxymoron).
Same with "purple-breasted".

I suppose I'm about to answer my own question when I say it usually happens when a combination of mutations occurs. Maybe it clarifies the characteristics of the bird but is it necessary?

Shouldn't people looking for or breeding Gouldians know what characteristics a normal Gouldian has? Shouldn't we assume the normal charcteristic if nothing is said? For instance a GB PB means normal, doesn't it? Are we on track to treat the wild colours as just another choice rather than the original adapted species?

I just think anyone who has these birds or is wanting to breed them should know this. Sorry to pick on Gouldians but a recent advert for them sparked my questions. Am I being too picky? I do have that problem sometimes ! :)
This is very good topic. To show my ignorance with Gouldians after arriving in Australia, my husband took me to a pet store to look at birds. This store had only one cage of birds. They were young, uncolored white breasted. The owner said in view of this she would let us have them 20.00 a bird. I told her we are just looking. When she walked away, I told my husband those cant be Gouldians or they have been cross bred with something because Gouldians do not have white breast. :lol:
If I knew then what I know now - I would have bought them all.
Craig52

Tiaris wrote:I don't even think WBs have the normal green back - more an olive shade.
I really don't know about that but you would think they would be slightly lighter in the back.The single factor Euro cocks back is transferred to yellow if it has a white breast so it looks like the WB retards darker colours. Craig
KENTUCKY

I am with you Tom, why complicate matters,
todays breeders don t seem to believe in simplicity, I believe in simplicity
its clean and straight unadulterated talk.
TomDeGraaff

Craig52 wrote:That might erk you Tiaris but it is the common way of expressing what you have for sale,white breasted is in all gouldian mutations as well as "normals",which means the normal wild type gouldian back colour but has a white breast mutation instead of purple so it is common practice to call them WBN's

So we have WB blues,WB Euro yellows, WB Australian yellows which by the way is a different WB mutation but some are mixed with both,WB "normals" or WB green backs which is the only green back bird other than the paler shades of green eg Lime backs and Australian Dilute WB,so the cocktail continues and there is no way of stopping it imo

Craig
Yes, Craig, WBN is fine to me.It indicates it is a normal bird EXCEPT it has a white breast. Green-back is silly imo. The normal is ,according to you, the only green-backed bird. The only notation needed is the aspect of the bird that is DIFFERENT to the normal.

Everyone has the right to describe their birds (thruthfully) as they see fit. I just make the observation that to me, it is superfluous to call a Gouldian green-backed or purple breasted when that should be assumed.

People who keep these birds need to learn the wildtype traits or we'll end up with breeders who think that the wild type is just another "breed" or "colour". We need to take a lead in this regard, I think.

Tom

Return to “Gouldian”