Green-backed Purple-breasted Gouldians

Includes Species Profile.
Tiaris

Craig52 wrote:
Tiaris wrote:I don't even think WBs have the normal green back - more an olive shade.
I really don't know about that but you would think they would be slightly lighter in the back.The single factor Euro cocks back is transferred to yellow if it has a white breast so it looks like the WB retards darker colours. Craig
The green is definitely different in a WB compared to a normal. Next time you see a WB & normal side-by-side take note of the shade of green on both. I'm not saying it is darker in WB just more of an olive/khaki shade rather than the bright grassy green of a normal Gouldian. Have a good look next time.
Tiaris

To me, referring to a white-breasted as a white-breasted normal is just as ludicrous as referring to a yellow-backed one as a yellow-backed normal.
BluJay

It is interesting all the different terminology. Abbreviations were easy enough to figure out. Then when added terminology of green back, green back yellow, starts confusion. When I first saw the "Lady Gouldian" or "Gouldian", I was in Petco, and I believed they just beautiful. So I bought all 12 at 150.00 each. I never seen, heard or read about mutations, which I would guess should be called ABNORMALS. In my learning about them, I may have came across mutations/abnormals but ignored or have blocked it out. As IMO, there is nothing as beautiful as the "normal"/original gouldians.
My understanding of the word normal is; the norm has to be established prior to being called normal.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Different they are. Abnormal they are not. Or are blonde and redheaded humans abnormal because we are not the norm? Just pointing out reality here, not having a go.
LML
LML
TomDeGraaff

BluJay wrote:My understanding of the word normal is; the norm has to be established prior to being called normal.
Exactly. Nature has established the "norm" in three head colours. Statistically, these are part of the wild gene pool, not just a random, extremely rare mutant popping up from time to time.

Point taken about back colour of the white-breasteds. WBN maybe isn't correct. The term normal is no more needed, imo, as is green-backed or purple-breasted. As Kentucky says, too many words :)
Craig52

Point taken about back colour of the white-breasteds. WBN maybe isn't correct. The term normal is no more needed, imo, as is green-backed or purple-breasted. As Kentucky says, too many words :)[/quote]

Ok, so what are your suggestions that we call them. WBN,WBGBN, WBDBN, and the list could go on with head colours included with those capitals.I also agree with Kentucky,keep it simple sailor. Craig :thumbup:
TomDeGraaff

I said at the start I'm not an expert on these birds but what's wrong with white-breasted, white-breasted dilute-backed? Why add normal or green-backed? To me, that is assumed unless otherwise stated. Or for white-breasted, we could use white-breasted green-backed (wbgb) which is imo silly.

If I obtain a red-headed white-breasted (rhwb), I assume the rest is as wildtype. It gets too complicated otherwise.
Diane

Colour can be very subjective, its all how the person looking at the colour actually perceives it.

Ive always relied on using capital letters but use them to describe the colour of the different areas on the bird being described. If the bird is a known splits then I use a combination of capital and lower case as can be seen in my last example.

RH WB GB
RH PB AUY
BH PC BB
RH PC SFYB
R/b P/w G/b

I think in a bird with so many colour combinations breeders should make every effort not to use generic words, or words that could have different meanings depending on where you live. Dilute is one word that springs to mind, from my understanding if you mention a dilute gouldian, depending on where in the world you live different people will picture a differently coloured bird.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
AMCA26

U r right Tiaris, I agree with specially the hens in WB Greenbacks they are lighter. I believe it slightly changes the back colour of Blues also compared to PB Blues.
Breeding Show Zebra Finches, Blue Gouldians, Pied Orange Breast.
Craig52

AMCA26 wrote:U r right Tiaris, I agree with specially the hens in WB Greenbacks they are lighter. I believe it slightly changes the back colour of Blues also compared to PB Blues.
Are you stirring the pot Mark,read Tiaris's post again. :) Craig

Return to “Gouldian”