Painted Button Quail

garymc

I have been lucky enough to breed four PBQ to date. they are probably 7 to 8 weeks old. These young are fully feathered and perhaps sexbale by size, but at what stage do they become visually sexable (by colouration)
VR1Ton

About 3-4 months from memory
garymc

Thanks Pete
BluJay

I love button quail. I kept them in 10 gallon aquariums, lined with textured shelving paper for traction, to reduce possibility of them becoming straddle legged. I used thin plastic lid for their water, covered with marbles so they wouldn't drown. I put heating pad on far end set on low, and used vita light bulbs. Congrats, on your four babies. Regards.
iaos

Gary is speaking of painted button-quail turnix varius. They have a very different biology to coturnix quail.

Well worth reading up on.

Cheers Ian
BluJay

Thanks Iaos. Those are Chinese Blue breasted quail in the photograph. Coturnix/pharaoh quail are much lager chicks.
A couple years ago, I did a thread about button quail. It confused everyone and has since disappeared. However, I firmly believe Bracken Ridge Ranch is the leading authority on them. Check out this website: http://www.brackenridgeranch.com
Regards.

PS: I've ordered Jodi's new book.
Last edited by BluJay on 15 Dec 2014, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
BluJay

iaos wrote:Gary is speaking of painted button-quail turnix varius. They have a very different biology to coturnix quail.

Well worth reading up on.

Cheers Ian
You did school me. Turnix Varius, is a true button quail. Never heard them called painted button quail before.
Thanks. :thumbup:
Tiaris

I think what you are calling buttonquail have a completely different breeding biology to Australian native buttonquail such as the Painteds which Gary is breeding. These ones cannot be reared with standard incubator/brooder setups as can Jap & King quail. They are polyandrous (one female mates with more than one male) & the male incubates, broods and beak-feeds the young.
BluJay

Love being schooled, Tiaris. I wouldn't mind trying my hand with some. Sound like they have Emu habits.
I believe Jodi covers them in her books. This is what, in part, she says under "natural history" tab:
"The nickname "Button Quail" soon caught on and spread throughout the world, but there was a problem. There is a true species of birds with the nomenclature "Button Quail," that make up 15 species of the order Guriformes, family Turnicade and genius Turnix. True Button Quail are native to many parts of the world including Africa, Asia, India, Sri Lanka and Australia. To further complicate the issue, True Button Quail, are not quail at all."
It's very interesting. Regards.
E Orix

Rather than confuse too many I guess we are better off still calling them King Quail here and the Americans can call them Button Quail.
By doing this we don't get confused about our Turnix group which have some different habits in particular when it comes to breeding and
management.
To be pedantic we are correct in calling them King Quail and the people from the USA are wrong because as was stated the King Quail is a member of the Quail family and true Button Quail on not in the same family but have been placed well away with the Rails from memory
So lets all still call them King Quail and I think it sounds better anyway.

Return to “Anything else”