Head Stripe on Canary

TailFeathers

Hello,

I have another new head stripe canary as mentioned in my previous post, new mutation.

I spoke to the original owner. He has never had lizard canaries in his breeding program before and a few of his birds have these stripes. He will be purchasing a computer program to track his birds as he has hundreds of canaries, european goldfinches and about 20-50mules.

As you can tell, he has a big operation going on and he works full time, so he hasn't been able to tell.

Will post a pic soon.
TailFeathers

Here she is
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tiaris

Isn't it just lightly variegated?
BluJay

Could it be what is referred to as "near broken cap" or "broken capped," lizard canary?
Tiaris

Yes, but it also shows variegation on the wing & tail which isn't a lizard feature at all.
BluJay

Tiaris wrote:Yes, but it also shows variegation on the wing & tail which isn't a lizard feature at all.
Thank you, Tiaris, for clarifying this. It is what I'm thinking, but I do not know enough to comment. I am still learning about the canary, let alone colors. What I do know is aussie breeders have produced some of the most beautiful canaries, and it's a complete privledge being able to own some. Regards.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Varigated canarys come with all different sorts of markings. If you can get consistancy of markings this is an achievement. And could well become a new variety. But it is still a variety not a mutation. Congratulations to anyone who successfully puts in the effort.
LML
LML
TailFeathers

BluJay wrote:Could it be what is referred to as "near broken cap" or "broken capped," lizard canary?
It's not lizard. At all.
TailFeathers

finchbreeder wrote:Varigated canarys come with all different sorts of markings. If you can get consistancy of markings this is an achievement. And could well become a new variety. But it is still a variety not a mutation. Congratulations to anyone who successfully puts in the effort.
LML
I will be trying to do that as he dislikes them. Why do I suspect it's a mutation vs variety? I only happened to purchase the two that were variegated. He has full color brown canaries with a bronze stripe, but he didn't sell those as he was still sexing them.
Red

That bird would be classed as a heavy variegate. It is not a new variety or a mutation. I have bred plenty of birds with those markings. You cannot get variegation to breed true either:

Variegated x Variegated = 50% Variegated, 25% Self and 25% Clear.

Return to “Canaries”