Firetails

Includes Species Profile
Donna

Can anyone please help me, I'm trying to identify what sort of firetails my 2 females are, the male died he was more redder, many thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TomDeGraaff

Hello. Your birds are African or red-billed fire finches, not firetails :)
Tom
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Uraeginthus wrote:Hello. Your birds are African or red-billed fire finches, not firetails :)
Tom
Tom is correct...also known as Ruddies
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Donna

thank you so much, I was given them as a Christmas present, obviously the shop owner was in correct no wonder I couldn't find them when searching the internet, thanks again :thumbup:
TomDeGraaff

That's okay, Donna.
How old are these birds? They appear to be two hens which are the less numerous gender. They are one of our smallest finches and, as the name suggests, come from Africa. If you check the topic heading for this species, there will be a species outline to get you started. They are charming little birds and usually sound breeders with a little livefood. I've bred them on just mealworms.
Great present!
Cheers
Tom
Donna

Hi Tom I'm not sure on age, my hens are going great, I love them, I haven't been successful in a male replacement as yet, the second male I bought died after 2 days, I also purchased a pair of Cordons from the same breeder, they're going ok.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If we were not so far away I could swap you one of the young cocks I bred this last season for a hen to mate with the other young cock. Plus cash difference of course. Maybe someone closer will offer the same type of deal.
LML
LML

Return to “Ruddie/Firefinch”