Breeding

Includes Species Profile.
rpetersen

Hi,
I have tried breeding this bird succesfully for the last three years with no success. I do not know what I am doing wrong. Currently I have two pairs (was three pairs until last week when I lost a beautiful blue hen) with one spare cock in and aviary 3m wide x 1m wide and +-2m high with 6 nest boxes. The cocks build nest and the hens lays eggs, but they lay eggs in all the nest boxes which is confusing. Any suggestion to improve my breeding. :?:

Riyaad
iaos

They are possibly from a strain that has been fostered continually. Not sure how to improve your luck.

Cheers Ian
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

iaos wrote:They are possibly from a strain that has been fostered continually. Not sure how to improve your luck.

Cheers Ian
Agree with that Ian :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
gouldianpaul

rpetersen wrote:Hi,
I have tried breeding this bird succesfully for the last three years with no success. I do not know what I am doing wrong. Currently I have two pairs (was three pairs until last week when I lost a beautiful blue hen) with one spare cock in and aviary 3m wide x 1m wide and +-2m high with 6 nest boxes. The cocks build nest and the hens lays eggs, but they lay eggs in all the nest boxes which is confusing. Any suggestion to improve my breeding. :?:

Riyaad

Before giving up on your current birds here are a few things to look at
- Diet; are you providing green seed or sprouted seed? are your birds fat....any yellow flesh near the abdomen can result in infertility. What vitamins/minerals are you providing? do you increase/decrease green seed/sprouted seed according to the breeding/non-breeding season

- Housing; is your aviary well protected? is there sufficient ventilation?

- Birds? how old are they? Do you separate your birds just prior to the breeding season.

At this stage of the year I would separate the cocks/hens and re-introduce 1 pair at a time in February.....introduce nest boxes about 2 weeks after birds are paired up.

Essentially try to do things differently if what you are doing hasn't worked for 2+ seasons.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Paul
Craig52

Also if you only have 2prs,only put 3 nest boxes in spaced well apart.After they have chosen their boxes,remove the spare one. Good luck, Craig
rpetersen

Thanks to all of those with positive responses. I will try sme of the suggestions

Riyaad

Return to “Gouldian”