Yellow Tip Blue Gouldian

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
TomDeGraaff

iaos wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that it IS genetically possible to have a blue BH YTB but it is phenotypically impossible, i.e. it can't physically appear as a YTB due to the blue washing out yellow and red to "beige".

Cheers Ian
Yes, Ian. Good pickup. You're right :)
Norse

Craig If that is full breeding condition black on the beak mine have never been in breeding condition, i get barely half the beak go black in normal's and only tips in split ay but they still breed ?
Could the age of the bird have some bearing on the colours, i have heard of parrots acquiring colours as they age, not sure if finches can do that, or possible the parblue gene allowing some normal colour to bleed through as it ages.
Norse
projects atm Normal and AY Gouldians, Red zebs and java's
Craig52

Norse wrote:Craig If that is full breeding condition black on the beak mine have never been in breeding condition, i get barely half the beak go black in normal's and only tips in split ay but they still breed ?
Could the age of the bird have some bearing on the colours, i have heard of parrots acquiring colours as they age, not sure if finches can do that, or possible the parblue gene allowing some normal colour to bleed through as it ages.
Norse
Norse,we are talking about that hen bird next to the blue cock bird aren't we,she is not a blue but i would imagine she is split blue.Her bill is pretty normal coloured for a hen in breeding condition,i don't understand what you are talking about but some hens beaks go blacker than others. Cheers Craig
Norse

Craig sorry thats just me going of on a tangent trying to point out if her colours are that intense it could be that the picture itself has been subject to some sort of lighting effect.
projects atm Normal and AY Gouldians, Red zebs and java's
Blue Cuban

I had a chat to the owner the other day and he tells me that the yellow in the beak has faded some what but the yellow is still in the belly.
Its proving hard to get more pictures despite saying that he would send me more and now the bird is breeding he doesn't want to interfere buy catching him up.

Hmmmm.......
Hobby finch Keeper
Craig52

Double Hmmmm :thumbdown:

Return to “Mutation Finches”