Mannikin mania

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
Bisaloyce

I am very interested in mannikins and am keen to expand my collection. I have 4 aviaries, so am limited to 4 types of mannikins as I don't want crossing. I have previously bred Bengalese (with great success, yes they breed like rabbits), so am after suggestions on what mannikins to introduce to my aviaries. I currently have red brows, double bars, red faced parrots and stars. All are happy together and have bred this spring.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Spice Finch/Nutmeg Mannikins are a finch I have kept for a while and bred quite a few of them and are very shy breeders I found quite secretive nests I found and not the most colourful Finches but love the patterning and like watching them live as Colony very close together when I see them.
Bisaloyce

Thanks. I do like the look of the Spice Finch. How many do you have in your Colony? You obviously find that they breed well living as a group rather than individual pairs?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tricoloured Nuns are striking and Chestnut Breasteds are easy going.
LML
LML
crazy cuban

I personally find silverbills to be one of my favourite mannikins available.
Like all lonchura species they aren't the most colourful, but the simple patterning on their feathers and the nature of these birds are certainly nothing to skip over.
CC
Bisaloyce

Thanks for all suggestions and observations. I have been researching all suggestions and would be very happy to have them in my aviary. Finding mannikins for sale is quite a challenge!!

Return to “Non Specific Questions”