Gouldian Nesting Observations

Includes Species Profile.
POLAR GOULDIANS

Just sharing some recent observations of some of my split Blue Gouldians

My nest box preparation is to place dry grass in the nest boxes and push a hollow into it with my hand.

One of my aviaries has 2 pair in it.

Pair 1 - prepared their nest as I would normally expect, the cock bird lined it well with grass over about 1 week and then the hen started laying.
Pair 2 - no preparation from the cock bird, the hen started laying and after about 2 eggs the cock bid proceeded to fill the nest box with grass.

Result.

Pair 1 - 5 eggs all of which were clear.
Pair 2 - 6 eggs of which 5 are fertile.

In another aviary with only 1 pair in it.

The hen started showing lots of interest in the nest box leading to her sitting on the perch of the nest box with pieces of grass in her mouth, but neither her or the cock bird took grass into the box.
She is a very well coloured Sex linked Yellow and this behaviour had me questioning her sex !
After 3 or 4 days of this behaviour she started laying in the unchanged nest box, after she had laid her 5th egg the cock bird has started placing grass into the nest.
I am waiting ( hoping ) to see if these eggs are fertile.

In another aviary the hen has started laying in the nest box without showing interest in it or having any grass placed in it, only 2 eggs so far so I will have to wait for it also.

Normally I try to collect dry grass and place it on the floor of the aviaries for the birds to use at their leisure,.
This year I have collected fresh ( growing ) Green Panic leaves and have found that the birds are using these almost exclusively.
"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have always used a mix of green and dry grasses. Some birds prefer one some the other and some are indiscriminate users.
LML
LML
POLAR GOULDIANS

Hi FB,
I leave the old green panic heads that I provide in the cages for a while and have found that some birds will use these in the nests, but not to the extent that they have been using the fresh green leaves.
"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
POLAR GOULDIANS

Some update photos from the nest of the hen that used grass to urge her mate to start nest building.
She ended up with seven eggs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig52

Well done,it looks like you have a blue or two amungst them :thumbup: Craig
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Off to a great start!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congratulations. Maybe I should look at sorting my lot out. But it is still so hot here.
LML
LML
POLAR GOULDIANS

Hi FB, Yes we are fairly lucky here temperature wise, days rarely get above about 38 and in winter rarely below 0.

Yes Craig a couple of Blue gene birds, not game to hazard a guess at the sex of them yet.

I have 3 more nests which should hatch out in the next week so hopefully the numbers will stay up.
bywater71

I always start the nest off for them making sure there is enough grass on the bottom for the eggs to sit on rather than roll around. Some hens carry grass, but if you prepare for them them then they can either add or not, some pairs are good builders some not. I use dry meadow hay find this to be the best I buy a bale and it lasts for ages. :cloppy:
POLAR GOULDIANS

Just some up to date photo's of the babies above.

I know I always enjoy seeing photo's of other peoples birds, so I hope you enjoy these.

Mark "AMCA26" might recognise the parent birds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Gouldian”