breeding timeframe

Includes Species Profile
Bisaloyce

I have my first pair of RFPF. Over the last 10 days he has built a very sturdy nest in a wire basket and for the last 3-4 days he's been lining it with feathers. I've seen the male chasing the hen & both visit the nest. I'm feeding green seed heads picked daily, cucumber, peas & corn along with their dry seed.
Just wondering when I might expect egg laying to start. I checked today, no eggs yet. Do not want to keep checking, would rather leave them to it, but at the same time I'm keen know what's happening. Can anyone tell me what behaviour I might notice that tells me egg laying has started?
Tiaris

Bent tails once incubation commences. I strongly urge you to observe them without fingers ie. leave the nest alone or you may jeopardise their chance of breeding success.
Their behaviour will again signal when eggs have hatched with massively enhanced enthusiasm for greens, etc.
Bisaloyce

Thanks - I very much appreciate your advice. I have checked the nest with my fingers, though it's quite difficult due to the small circular opening. I will take your advice (no more fingers) and look for bent tails - will this be obvious in the male and the female? I put in feathers this aftenoon and within 20 mins the male had carried them all to the nest. Interestingly, he put some of them in the water bowl and then carried them to the nest. The female then disappered for 5 mins, guessing she was in the nest. I was sitting outside and couldn't see what was happening at the back of the enclosure.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

She will lay 3 to 5 eggs then start sitting (both share) so thats when you will see bent tails...Agree with Tiaris try to keep out of habit of checking nests...as very hard to stop once you start and a few species really dislike intrusion... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten

Return to “Red Faced Parrot Finch”