AUstralian yellow gouldian variation question

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Norse

I have a question regarding the 'two' types of ay splits
I have had been breeding the type with white face patches for a few years now, and in full mutation get a fair bit of variegation in the back.
This year it was time for new blood so i acquired the other type with the yellow patch in back of head.
I was wondering if anyone has bred these two types and is there differences in look when full mutation is expressed ? , is there some other factor that makes the splits look so different ?

any info would be great

cheers Norse
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
projects atm Normal and AY Gouldians, Red zebs and java's
gouldianpaul

Hi Norse,

The patches on head, neck, wing are all indications the birds are split for AY....the positioning of the patch does not mean different variations of split AY.

Although I'm confused as to why anyone would deliberately breed a single factor EY with an AY....your single factor is also split for AY....it doesn't make any sense to me as to why these 2 mutations are mixed, but it does occur.

Nice birds by the way.

Cheers
Paul
Norse

I agree Paul the 2 cocks i got recently are both single factor euro split AY, I have heard they are bred that way to produce a more clear backed AY, personally i prefer the more variegated ones like my bloodline and if they produce all clearbacks this yr ill have to source new cocks for next year.
The yellow patched hen bird i picked up at the local pet shop being sold as a normal, sometimes i get lucky.
I just find it strange that for the last few seasons all my splits have been like my white patched hen, i have not yet bred a the yellow patch split or a combination of both patches that's why i thought i would get some input.
Mine have not been bred with EY so possibly that has something to do with the differences
Maybe this year with both i may get some variety in patches.

cheers Norse
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sometimes the breeding of AY to EY is due to new breeders of Yellows who do not know there are two types. They just buy the pretty yellow ones in the pet shop and put them together.
And some cross the two to get the cleanest backs. That BH girl has the most white I think I have ever seen of a AY split, and she is a very nice bird.
LML
LML
Norse

cheers finchbreeder she is one of my favorites, i actually prefer these white patched splits to the full mutation colour myself.

I have attached a pic of her father to show how this trait carried forward in my birds.

cheers Norse
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
surfartist

Both father and daughter lovely splits... a nice line to breed with
gouldianpaul

finchbreeder wrote:Sometimes the breeding of AY to EY is due to new breeders of Yellows who do not know there are two types. They just buy the pretty yellow ones in the pet shop and put them together.
And some cross the two to get the cleanest backs. That BH girl has the most white I think I have ever seen of a AY split, and she is a very nice bird.
LML
I think you are 100% right FB :thumbup: :thumbup:
BluJay

Nice birds, and good thread Norse. Good Gouldian split info. It never ceases to amaze all the different yellow mutatations there are. Also good to know there can be a patch: white or yellow: in places other than bib. I have a couple dilute yellow hens: black head: purple breast: white bib. Must be heaps of breeders crossing these things and selling off the mess they've made. Good luck with your birds. Regards.
Reubenvg

Great thread learnt a lot :)

Here is a few pics of my first chick I think is split AY

Mother is split AY blue back ( This is the one from you GouldianPaul!)
Father is normal split blue

Think they look pretty nice! The young one seems to have white under chin in same spot as mother and a fleck on back of head the same.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congrats & Well done :thumbup: :clap:

Return to “Mutation Finches”