Sexing juvenile Gouldians using eye ring

Includes Species Profile.
SamDavis

An interesting observation made by Meadowlark Farms Avian Supply, Inc. which could prove to be a simple method of sexing juvenile Gouldians.
goulld_eyering_cock.jpg
goulld_eyering_hen.jpg
Has anyone ever noticed this difference?
(I've always known the cere to be the area surrounding the nostrils. I would call this area the eye ring).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tiaris

Not familiar with that but you can usually sex juveniles by the body colour at a glance anyway.
Craig52

I don't know about that either Sam but it does work with Adult diamonds,pink/white in the hen and red in the cock bird.As with the gouldians in purple breast,pluck one or two feathers from the chest and in a week you will know what sex they are. Cheers Craig
SamDavis

Tiaris wrote:Not familiar with that but you can usually sex juveniles by the body colour at a glance anyway.
I'm hopeless at that - crap eyesight is my excuse but in reality I'm just not that observant.
Craig52 wrote:I don't know about that either Sam but it does work with Adult diamonds,pink/white in the hen and red in the cock bird.As with the gouldians in purple breast,pluck one or two feathers from the chest and in a week you will know what sex they are. Cheers Craig
Yes. I used to do that routinely as I moved them to the holding aviary. With white breasts it's best to try and pluck feathers on the border of the white and yellow.

It'll still be interesting for people to have a good look and make a note as Gouldians start fledging in the upcoming months.
Blue Cuban

I've know about this for a while and it's proven to be true for me.

Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper
Blue Cuban

I must add that although this has proven to be true for me it doesn't mean that I believe this is 100% correct all the time but if I had to buy a uncoloured juvenile (not that you should nor do I) I would be pretty comfortable relying on this theory.

The reason I don't believe this is 100% true is due to such subtle differences in the pigment across all Gouldian's making it hard to tell but for most times to date for me blue eye ring means its a cock.

Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper

Return to “Gouldian”