Red-capped Robin

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
iaos

SamDavis wrote:
Tiaris wrote:They moult around February (they did here at least). If you feed the red colour enhanced Wombaroo insectivore mix as part of the softfood offered he should keep good colour.
I know Steve H. (breeder of this one) was feeding mealworms injected with Canthaxanthin during the moult. Very dedicated - not sure if I'll go to that extent. I don't think his birds were really going for the softfood.

I didn't realise you had these Tiaris until yesterday. The terrific news is I've located a hen which I believe in a round-about way could be partially due to your misfortune. I'm super pleased as I really thought it would be an impossible find. :thumbup:
:thumbup:
E Orix

I have always kept Red Capped in planted flights and found there was no need at all to colour feed.
Their diet was quite simple and the contents of my moth trap was greatly enjoyed.
I miss having them as I now have too many Spider Webs in my bird room and walk way these days.
It was their task to be let into these areas, either to eat the Spiders but more importantly get the webs.
They use the webs to assist in building their beautiful cup shaped nests.
Pleased that you have been able to make up a pair. The down side !!!! is when you bred them you will just have to
build another aviary because the cock birds are so aggressive to each other.
Tiaris

I don't have them now. They readily take to softfood especially if it contains grated cheese (their favourite softfood ingredient by far). Mine had poor colour prior to using red-colouring softfood - it also put good colour into Orange Chats but I don't offer them nectar which would possibly be an easier vehicle for colour food for chats.
E Orix

I know the purists will jump up and down again but here goes.
I do not feed any colour food and all my red birds(Weavers, Softbills etc) are as red if not more intense than others around. In fact my Cordon being blue not red would stack up as well. I am convinced it is because they eat the Green Algae in my water bowls. My water bowls don't get scrubbed out, BUT the water is clean of droppings etc.
In fact in my large flight I have what I call my slime pool it is a bath set in the ground covered with a water plant. It is a working ecology so the water is clear but the Algae is all around the sides. In the same aviary I have a running water system water is pumped up about 450 mmm and runs down the face of a large vertical rock. Even though the water is clean the surface of the rock being always wet once again has a green coating. You can view my birds regularly eating the green Algae. This has been regularly pointed out to visitors. Should I drag some out and place it on the ground, birds will come down quickly and start consuming it. The Saint Helena Waxbills in particular.
Spiralina is one of the major red colouring agents used for artificial colouring and it comes from Algae. Mine eat the green Algae hence the colours are more intense but not
un natural looking. Remember you must give your birds clean water.
Food for thought
KENTUCKY

R Murray always believed that Algae is an important source of Green Food, being a natural colouring Agent is a bonus but,IF there is any trouble in the roost, Algae is most likely the culprit, the benefit of Birds having access to Algae out weights the down side by a Country Mile and a half.
Tiaris

E Orix wrote:I know the purists will jump up and down again but here goes.
I do not feed any colour food and all my red birds(Weavers, Softbills etc) are as red if not more intense than others around. In fact my Cordon being blue not red would stack up as well. I am convinced it is because they eat the Green Algae in my water bowls. My water bowls don't get scrubbed out, BUT the water is clean of droppings etc.
In fact in my large flight I have what I call my slime pool it is a bath set in the ground covered with a water plant. It is a working ecology so the water is clear but the Algae is all around the sides. In the same aviary I have a running water system water is pumped up about 450 mmm and runs down the face of a large vertical rock. Even though the water is clean the surface of the rock being always wet once again has a green coating. You can view my birds regularly eating the green Algae. This has been regularly pointed out to visitors. Should I drag some out and place it on the ground, birds will come down quickly and start consuming it. The Saint Helena Waxbills in particular.
Spiralina is one of the major red colouring agents used for artificial colouring and it comes from Algae. Mine eat the green Algae hence the colours are more intense but not
un natural looking. Remember you must give your birds clean water.
Food for thought
David,

Were your Red-capped Robins as red as Sam's when you had them?
E Orix

Yes and my Crimson Chats are bright, deep red during the breeding season.
Even after 4 successful nests one of my Chats in the big aviary is still very red.
Actually I always thought that Chats were desert birds but mine eat a lot of a water plant I have, as well as the Algae.
I found the Robins very easy to look after and they were one of the first to nest. They used my standard Roses as nest sites and
nested before the roses had started to get their leaves. There second nest was generally in the same site but by then the foliage had
appeared and they had more cover. Nice bird well worth the effort to find them firstly and then keep them.
Tiaris

I agree. RC Robins are awesome aviary birds. Very endearing nature & very strong pair bond. The best eyesight of any bird I've kept too - I would throw in pale mealies & they would often catch them before they it the ground.
Tiaris

That's hit the ground - sorry just had 9 or 10 schooners at the local.
arthur

A few Q'l'ders would have been doing the same thing at about the same time . .

For one reason or an other :clap: / :crazy:

But for 'birdos' the 'smoke will go up the chimney, just the same!' :think:

Return to “For any species not listed below”