Parrot forum

David2406

Does anybody know about any Australian forum sites like this but for parrots. We are spoiled having this site for finches. Just wondering for hook bill enthusiasts.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There's this one, but I don't particularly like it.
David2406

Yeah I've seen it as well. There doesn't seem to be anything as good as Aussie Finch Forum unfortunately :)
Craig52

I'm afraid parrot people are a very clicky and private mob,especially when it comes to conures,macaws,African greys and all the relative new arrivals.It's more like a competition between other breeders and they keep their breeding secrets to themselves so spreading all their secrets on an open forum is a no no.Also not many breeders want others to know what they have or who they are due to thefts etc as many of these birds run into many thousands of dollars each.
Or Neophemas and rosella's etc are too easy to breed and have flooded the market with mutations and a few wild types that are left hence they go into the big dollar market birds.
Those that can't afford them are reverting their aviaries to breed finches which imo is great to see and they can run some Neophemas in with their finches just to stay intouch with their parrots. I know quite a few parrot breeders that have or are reverting to finches and some of the introductions on this forum mention that they used to keep parrots but now are on here to learn how to keep and breed finches.

This is all in my opinion but you will find that i am not that far wrong. Craig
arthur

Some parrot people may be as Craig describes them . .

But I have found that human nature does not depend on the species of bird kept

There is a parrot forum which has not been fully explored or utilised . .

Try . . Aussie Finch Forums < Other Bird Species < Parrots

You see a lot of our members are 'birdkeepers' and keep many more types of avian species than just finches . .

Sadly there is a lot of not so friendly rivalry between bird-keeping 'factions' . .

And like a lot of the 'differences' in life, the reasons for that rivalry cannot reasonably be explained :wave:
Craig52

I agree with what you say Arthur but it's things like this that annoy me with the larger Cockatoo's and foreign parrots,from the time they fledge it is usually three to five years before they become sexually viable.So a breeder buys a breeding pr (5 years old or older)and breeds the hell out of them knowing full well that the young he sells on will not breed for 5 years.So he has another 5 years in which he can mass produce/hand raise from his breeding pr before that pr's first young are sexually active, and make mega dollars while their produce sit around doing nothing.You can breed a lot more finches in five years and most can attain breeding age in twelve months or less with an average of three nests per year so if you are into making money out of your birds,(depending on the what species your finches are worth) you probably break even to what you would with the big buck parrots.
Anyhow sorry for the rant i'm just one eyed and you are right,there is a lot of information in the other birds "parrot section" on this forum. Cheers Craig :thumbup:

Return to “Parrots”