2015 Gouldian Breeding Season... Any Starters Yet?

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
paintedfiretail

Tiaris wrote:Vicious circle isn't it?
To be confident that a bird is not split to a mutation it needs to spend its prime breeding life mated to a mutant bird producing more split mutations of sufficient numbers to increase your confidence that it is not split to that mutation. Even then you cannot be certain as it is entirely possible that a split bird will produce only splits at above the odds for several clutches. Then you have several other recessive mutations to test mate for & with those mutations be confident but never certain that the bird doesn't carry those genes. By the time you've almost convinced yourself the bird is not split to any known recessive mutation the bird has exhausted its productive breeding life producing large quantities of splits and it has contributed nothing to perpetuating pure stocks. Finally, as an aged decrepit bird it mates with another normal bird which you are confident but not certain is pure normal. Poor fertility due to old age results in a clutch of only one young which is very well-fed by its very experienced parents. Alas it is the first ever white-breasted blue dilute Australian yellow to be successfully reared. Congratulations.

Tiaris I think things have got crossed some were I only stated that two out of four in each clutch which were uncoloured showed sings where plucked of being W/b.
NOT w/b blue dilute Australian yellow. other than that I totaly agree with what you have said.
Craig52

PF, i think Tiaris was being a little sarcastic and it wasn't directed towards you. He was talking of the the cocktail of recessive genes that are or could be hidden in any normal looking gouldian that could produce the mutations he was referring to.

Also,it is not appropriate on here to mention your inhumane way of what you do to your unwanted mutation birds, this is not a closed forum to the general public.

Craig
Admin
gouldianpaul

Tiaris wrote:Vicious circle isn't it?
To be confident that a bird is not split to a mutation it needs to spend its prime breeding life mated to a mutant bird producing more split mutations of sufficient numbers to increase your confidence that it is not split to that mutation. Even then you cannot be certain as it is entirely possible that a split bird will produce only splits at above the odds for several clutches. Then you have several other recessive mutations to test mate for & with those mutations be confident but never certain that the bird doesn't carry those genes. By the time you've almost convinced yourself the bird is not split to any known recessive mutation the bird has exhausted its productive breeding life producing large quantities of splits and it has contributed nothing to perpetuating pure stocks. Finally, as an aged decrepit bird it mates with another normal bird which you are confident but not certain is pure normal. Poor fertility due to old age results in a clutch of only one young which is very well-fed by its very experienced parents. Alas it is the first ever white-breasted blue dilute Australian yellow to be successfully reared. Congratulations.
Hi All,

Whilst I agree with the centiment that mutation breeders should be honest with possible split birds (when they are selling birds) I think the comments by Tiaris and FB are way out of proportion. To make the statement that it to ensure a bird is not split it needs to produce several clutches being mated to a colored bird to ensure no colored birds are produced just to prove it is not a split. So if it spent 2 years being paired to a colored bird producing 15-20 (on average 5 per clutch) you cannot be sure that with no colored birds being produced that the bird is still not a split. SERIOUSLY!!!!

Yes statistically this is possible but I'd like someone who has actually tried this to put their results up for discussion. If you guys believe this to be the case (in your endeavour to produce pure/clean/natural/uncontaminated Gouldians) then you must be the unluckiest breeders in Australia....either that or you have way to much aviary space available, not to mention too much time on your hands proving something that has less than 1% chance of occurring.

It is commonly accepted that a split bird to a colored bird will produce 50% colored birds....so by the time you have breed 15 birds to test that the possible split is/isn't a split you are down to a 1% chance of no colored birds being produced.

To me it would be more sensible to keep accurate records (which I'm sure Tiaris and FB do) and if it is your desire to keep pure normal gouldians if a colored bird appears, go back through your records and remove all associated birds related to this individual bird from your breeding program.....that would be more sensible than claiming that even if a bird spent the majority of it's productive life (2-3 years) you could not be certain it still wasn't a split.

Lets keep the discussion based on realistic outcomes, not results that are less than 1% likely to occur.

Cheers
Paul
Tiaris

I was actually trying to be flippant in that post to lighten the mood of the thread. Seems I didn't try hard enough.
I guess my underlying point is that if you want to breed normals, just breed normals & if a mutation "pops up" then cull the likely source from your breeding stock (without harming them) & just get on with breeding normals and enjoy them. Stressing over trying to confirm your fear of the possibility splits being among your normal genotype stock by actively participating in breeding birds (definite splits + the mutation itself) which are not your key interest is likely to be very counterproductive & unfulfilling.
Making some attempt to understand basic genetics & modes of inheritance is just as important in culling mutations as it is in pursuing breeding mutations.
Incidentally, I do not keep records of my birds at all. I know each of my birds individually including their lineage. I do not guarantee to anyone that any of my birds is mutation-free as I know with recessive mutations it is impossible to do so whatever the theoretical statistical probabilities imply. I know this because I am a firm advocate that if Murphy's Law can possibly have an influence it will do so when you least expect it.
elferoz777

Wasnt the point of this rant to ask werty what he does with 80 possible splits he now

I think peple should be responsible when selling. If you have heaps of possible splits price them as normal but sell them as splits.

All the bs surrounding goulds and their mutations is why im more than likely getting out of them next year. Too many dishonest or clueless breeders (thise ive dealt with through aff are excluded from the dishonest/clueless category).

Lets keep back on the topic.

Ill put my boxes in nov this year as the last time I put them in early I had a great season. This year I have one lone gould left from plus forty bred. The rest died the latest being monday this week. I suspect my canary hen killed it as she was seen attacking others in the aviary.

I have all split blue birds and a show winning sf cock. My possible splits will be sokd to an old mate who just keeps them to look at.......assuming that I can get any young next season.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
werty

What will I do with 80 possible splits

Well the last time I checked splits are worth twice as much as normals

So I'll be selling all my possible 80 splits for twice as much as a normal

This is how it will work, buyers will see my birds in the aviary, they will notice the yellows and blues I have produced and go crazy, I will make a killing this year

Thank you split gouldians :clap:
elferoz777

:clap:

Just reinforced what I said. This us why I buy em in Melbourne.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
iaos

werty wrote:What will I do with 80 possible splits

This is how it will work, buyers will see my birds in the aviary, they will notice the yellows and blues I have produced and go crazy, I will make a killing this year

Your birds aren't splits unless you bred it from a coloured bird. They are possible splits and should be priced accordingly. Unless you can guarantee that your bird is spilt for blue no one should be paying top dollar. Please take some time to understand gouldian genetics as well as the birds you have bred.
Tiaris

They yellows you have are dominant (European yellows). There are no splits to this mutation.
werty

iaos wrote:
werty wrote:What will I do with 80 possible splits

Your birds aren't splits unless you bred it from a coloured bird. They are possible splits and should be priced accordingly. Unless you can guarantee that your bird is spilt for blue no one should be paying top dollar. Please take some time to understand gouldian genetics as well as the birds you have bred.
Im going to sell my birds for the highest price possible

Buyers will be on site, they will see parents and set up

It is up to the buyer then to decide if they want my birds

Im not forcing people to buy my birds

Buyers choice, as for calling them possible splits, elf mentioned it

I guarantee you I will sell all 80

Not much to choose from here in sydney

Return to “Breeding Finches”