King Quail - 12 eggs too many?

claudicles

I have new King quail and they haven't shown any interest in sitting until they had 12 eggs in total. I'm worried they won't be able to sit on that many. She certainly isn't covering that many now. Should I take some away? I can put them in the incubator but I guess that will mean hand raising. I've never hand raised anything smaller than chickens. What would people do?
SamDavis

I'd leave them.
It's been a while since I've had King Quail but I've had roughly that number hatch.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would also leave them. If you wish, once the eggs finish hatching and the chicks are all 3/4 days old. Remove any unhatched eggs. And when she starts laying again, number the eggs. That way if you wish you can remove the oldest eggs when she starts sitting. And restrict to a quantity you are happy with.
LML
LML
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SamDavis wrote:I'd leave them.
It's been a while since I've had King Quail but I've had roughly that number hatch.
Same been a few years but remember a hen sitting on about 15 eggs and hatching 10 of them... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
claudicles

Thank you all. That is reassuring. I'll leave her.
claudicles

Ok she didn't start sitting straight after this. She laid a couple more. I'm pretty sure she is sitting on 15 eggs but it has been more than 3 weeks. Any advice would be great. Should I candle them? Should I take them away? Should I try to keep her off them? Should I wait?

IGNORE ME!

DOH! Sorry guys. I did the maths wrong. How could I forget February has 28 days? :mrgreen:
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

claudicles wrote:Ok she didn't start sitting straight after this. She laid a couple more. I'm pretty sure she is sitting on 15 eggs but it has been more than 3 weeks. Any advice would be great. Should I candle them? Should I take them away? Should I try to keep her off them? Should I wait?

IGNORE ME!

DOH! Sorry guys. I did the maths wrong. How could I forget February has 28 days? :mrgreen:
I'd wait a few extra days regardless.....as far as candling goodluck :D ....on eggs that aren't white I use float test... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
claudicles

I have to admit I didn't like my chances candling. Part of the reason I asked what to do because of course that would be what I'd do with chook eggs.
Alf63

I have candled a number of King Quail eggs recently. I use a good quality candling lamp (Brinsea coollume) and have absolutely no problem at all. The shells are not that thick and they are as easy as any "white" egg

Regards

Alf63
SkyLark

Hello my name is Mick.
Those little quail learn as they go. Their first batch can be large (8+) eggs. If you just let her sit on what she has got, only the viable eggs will hatch (4-8 eggs).
I have found that raising them is much easier when the cock bird helps. Not all cocks will, but as a rule the do most of the work.

I can offer more advice if you like? Where are they kept?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Anything else”